Chapter 10~ Sam Caught a Hottie, Noah Caught a Nottie

Start from the beginning

"Off to class, everyone." The teacher who I didn't know the name of snapped, and everyone scrambled away in a hurry. She then turned to Noah, who said something to the other jock under his breath before letting him go, and he sprinted off quickly.

"You four, the Principal's office, now."

***

"Please, Mr Jones, enlighten me as to why you felt the need to threaten and harass another student?" The Principal, Mr Kent, asked Noah in a bored, breathy voice that implied he'd had a long day. Scrutinising us with narrowed eyes like we were criminals, he turned a stress ball over in his hands.

Noah crossed his arms and looked down at his feet stubbornly. Why wasn't he saying anything to defend himself? Did he want to get expelled?

Glaring at Noah I turned to Mr Kent and crossed my ankles. "He was defending me. Someone wrote something inappropriate on my locker and he was trying to help. It was my fault, not his. If I hadn't had made such a big deal of the silly situation than neither would he." I told him earnestly, even though we both knew it wasn't true. Noah had overreacted, and as incredible as it was to have someone stand up for me, I wasn't sure why he had.

Mr Kent sighed and leaned forward to clasp his hands together on the table, scrutinising the two of us.

"Is this true, Mr Jones?" Mr Kent asked. "You were simply reacting to Miss Conway's overreaction?"

Noah still didn't respond; he just continued to stare at the floor. I fought the urge to shoot him a dirty glance and punch his shoulder. Couldn't he at least agree with me? I was trying to save his butt here!

Mr Kent sighed deeply again and reached for two pink slips in his top draw. "Given that this is your first visit to my office Miss Conway and no true crime- other than causing a scene- was committed, I see no reason why more discipline than two detentions be necessary. As for you, Mr Jones," Kent frowned as if he had said that phrase numerous times, "for harming another pupil and using foul language in the hallway I give you a two day suspension and a week of after school detentions, starting as of Monday." Mr Kent signed the two slips and handed one to each of us, before nodding at the door to signal that we could leave. I stared at my detention slip and groaned; detention was going to suck. But, at least there was nothing that could go on my record and harm my chances of getting accepted to Princeton. We'd both gotten off lightly, all things considered.

Sam and JC had both been interviewed briefly by Mr Kent, but he quickly realized that they had had no true part in the scenario and sent them both back to class within five minutes. At least they had escaped unscathed.

Of course, the true criminal in the scheme, Sabrina, hadn't even had a hair on her pretty little head punished.

"Why did you take the blame?" Noah asked as soon as we left Mr Kent's office. He ran a hand through his dark curly hair but refused to meet my eye. What was up with him today?

I shrugged and continued to walk, pursing my lips and running my tongue over my teeth. The hallway was completely abandoned now, the only evidence of the event even occurring was the ugly words decorating my locker. They didn't bother me though really; I mean yeah it sucked, but of all the things that could hurt me, I wasn't going to let words be one of them. I sighed. "I've never been in trouble with the Principal before, whereas this clearly wasn't your first offence. If you took the blame you would have gotten expelled, no doubt. The worst I could get was a detention."

Noah stopped in the middle of the hallway and shot me a puzzled look. "But why do you care?"

His question made stop short, taken aback. Why did I care?