BAAM (14)

Holly's pov: (normal pov)

I just licked a paw. Not just any dog's paw, but the paw seemed to belong to me. I don't know what urged me to lick my hand, but I did anyway, only to find a silver-colored, harry paw. Paw, the word is so foreign in my train of thought when describing myself. Naturally, I thought I was dreaming, especially after I caught sight of a bushy tail. My nose was cold, my ears itched, and not to mention, I think I was drooling. This had to be a dream, no, a nightmare. Things like this don't just happen to people, they are reserved for horror movies and fictional books. It's not possible, and I couldn't even think of considering being a....werewolf.

I took in more of my surroundings, everyone had moved a little closer to me. There was a soft knock on my door, causing my ears to perk up in alert. I became very still, listening, waiting. My reaction was so natural, almost as if it was expected. An urge grew, one to sniff in the direction of the knock. The smell was slightly familiar, and yet I couldn't connect it with a face or object. Another knock sounded, spiking my curiosity. I slowly got up, keeping my eyes glued to the door, and licked my lips, waiting almost impatiently. Another feeling consumed me, a feeling of need, a need to protect the ones in this room. A louder knock was banged against the door. I crouched down, lifted my upper lip to bare my teeth, pulled my ears back, and raised my withers, then I let out the most animalistic growl I've ever done.

My growl seemed to wake everyone up from their stunned postures. Marcus came towards me. I didn't trust him, I quickly moved out from his reach. Mom went to the door and everyone else stayed where they were, but looked ready to grab me or pursue chase if need be.

"Mommy, can we come in now?" a quiet voice I recognized as Chris's came from the other side of the door.

Mom turned her head to look at me nervously. I knew she wanted to let him in, but knew I may attack him if she did so, whoa, where did that thought come from? "No, baby," she replied, the door still closed, "Holly's not feeling well. Um, we don't want you to catch whatever it is that she's got. Why don't you have Leslie take you kids down to the family room to play the wii?"

There was a short silence before I heard a huff and, "okay, mommy. Leslie! You have to help us play wiiiiiiiii!" Then the sound of multiple rushing feet could be heard going down the stairs.

"Don't run in the house!" Mom scolded.

Attention was back on me, just the way I liked it, sort of.

"What are we going to do about her?" asked dad.

"She'll be like that for at least a week. What with being an alpha's mate and all," Howard said.

Glory gave him a firm smack on his shoulder. Mom and dad looked horrified.

Who's an alpha's mate? What are they talking about? Why am I still out of the loop on these things?!

I could see Marcus moving from the corner of my eye, he was trying to come closer. I leaped off the bed to put as much distance as possible between us. I couldn't miss the hurt look that appeared on his flawless face, I mean his plain face. He stood still, allowing me my space, though his eyes shown that he wanted to do the opposite.

The room became quiet, nobody daring to budge an inch. Mom's eyes held unshed tears, of joy? Dad screamed of nervousness, as if I would pounce at him at any second. Glory's stance was all concern and Howard looked ready to bolt after me, like I had anywhere to run off to. Now Marcus, he looked like I kicked him where it hurts the most. His whole body looked to be in agony, but why? Movement caught my attention. Mom had taken a step towards me, crouching down to sit on her knees. Being at eye level with me was less threatening, so I let her closeness slide. Slowly, she reached her hand out to me, palm up. Cautiously, I leaned forward and smelled her hand. Something registered in my brain and I knew she was friend and not foe, that I could trust her. This time it was me who came closer to her, and urged her to rub my side. Shortly after, the others proceeded to do the same thing. The room was filled with the ones I could trust, people that I knew I would do anything to protect and who would do the same for me.