BAAM (7)

Pic of cabin's "backyard" =>

The next morning I found myself in the grand kitchen, with my head in the fridge, looking for something decent to eat. The diet mom had me on was starting to drive me crazy, I felt like I was starving. After about a minute of searching my eyes landed on a package of bacon, along with eggs, sausage, biscuits and hash browns. I quickly gathered it all in my arms and carried them over to the counter by the oven. At last I was finally going to have a meal worth eating since these last few weeks. It was as I was cracking an egg that a shrill scream pierced my ears.

"What do you think you're doing, Holly?!" I quickly turned around to find my mom standing by the table, hands on hips and a look to kill. "You can't eat that stuff!" She hurried to my side and gathered all of the items into her arms, practically throwing them back into the fridge.

I furrowed my brows. "I always ate these things for breakfast, before you put me on that stupid diet!" I shouted defensively.

She gave out a frustrated sigh, taking out some low-fat yogurt and fresh berries. Closing the fridge door, she turned back to me. "And I promise, after all this is over you can eat whatever you want, however much you want." She sat the items down and got to work. "I'll fix you some healthy yogurt. Do you want any granola or nuts in it?"

I only glared at her. "Why am I on this ridiculous diet?!" I watched her as she continued preparing the yogurt. "Until what is over?" I took out the granola from the cabinet and slid it over to her.

She worked quickly. "Honey, just trust me, okay?" Handing me my yogurt she added, "it's for the best, you'll see, and then you'll thank me."

"Pfft, for what?"

"Patience, Holly. Patience," she sighed.

I took my yogurt and water - that mom made me take - and headed out to the back deck. Being out while it's early in the morning gives me a feeling like no other. It's so calm and peaceful here. Birds chirp their morning songs and a light breeze rustles the leaves on the tree branches. The view is like none other with the lake, woods and mountains. I bet even the richest man alive doesn't have a view like this, and with no interruptions. As I looked toward the other side of the lake I could see a mother doe with her fawn, drinking the cool water and eating the fresh morning dew grass, a sight I would never forget. For a second I wished I was that fawn - so young, innocent, naive, and free. It wasn't long before a buck came out of the woods and joined them.

Minutes passed by. The deer left and I was back to looking at the rest of the scenery. Flowers scattered around the lake. There was a dock with a motor boat at the end. There was a swing set closer to the cabin and a tire swing hanging from a rope on a tree near the lake - perfect for swinging , then dropping into the water - there was also a net to play different kinds of spots, such as volleyball or badminton. It amazes me how I've over-looked all this when we first arrived, but then again, I was too excited about the whole cabin and Leslie being here, and my car.

I finished my yogurt and drew the blanket I had brought out with me closer to my chest, wrapping it loosely around my body. I didn't want this moment to end, it was just too perfect. Of course, perfect moments always come to an abrupt end.

"Hey sweetie!" Mom came out, book in hand. "So, do you have anything planned today?"

I shrugged, continuing to look at the sight that was still beautiful, but had lost its peacefulness.

"Maybe you and Leslie can go swimming in the lake, or maybe tubing?" She picked up her book and started reading.

It did sound tempting. "Maybe."