Chapter 3

~Rose~

I groaned and let my eyes flutter open, my gaze met with a white ceiling. The room was dark, only illuminated by a small sliver of moonlight that leaked in through a slight crack in the curtains.

I glanced at my clock. 4:00 a.m.

A sense of familiarity thrummed through my veins. I knew this time...And I knew the date. November 12th. Mom and Dad's death anniversary.

Suddenly my tired brain was burdened with several memories. The sound of their screams that had caused me to wake with a start at this exact time, the pungent smell of blood that drew me closer to the living room like a moth would to a flame, the horror I felt rush through me when I saw them both—side by side, lying on the soft Persian rug that was now stained red. And most of all, I felt the hot tears that had stung my eyes like a couple of snake-bites.

My heartbeat increased rapidly and my abdomen seemed to radiate an immense heat as I relived the moments. I sat up in my bed, muscles rigid. They were murdered—no doubt about that. Somebody broke in and stole them from me.

They stole them. They took them away from me. 

For a moment I was still. I could feel something take effect. Like something was put there long ago and was only now triggered into action. I almost felt the sensation of a particular feeling threatening to rise within me, before it was replaced with another. Something darker. Something deadlier.

My alarm clock went off. I slowly turned my head, like I was a new human mind freshly introduced to life. I took it into my hand, staring at the numbers flashing 5:30. It was then that a command appeared into my mind—a burning desire to kill.

It was a sustained desire. Not just anyone...

The clock was crushed in my grip, causing the incessant beeping to abruptly halt. I raised my eyes to the wall, jaw firmly set.

It was like I was born to kill. Made for the removal of one particular life.

Anger swelled up inside me, consumed me whole. Involuntarily a twitch started in my cheek, becoming more frequent and rapid, until it tilted my lips into a snarl-like smile. A mad giggle originated from my stomach, climbed up my throat before it escaped to release a bone-chilling sound. I stared at my hands, watching as they turned impossibly white. I needed one thing badly. I lusted for it, like it was a requirement essential for survival. 

One thing.

One need.

One lust, for revenge.

With a jerk of my head, I tilted it up to the ceiling before a crazed laugh filled the air.

*****

I slowly rolled out of the bed and went to the window, taking a deep breath before opening the curtains and quickly stepping back into the shadows. There weren't any rays of sunlight.

After half-interestedly getting ready for a trip to school, I casually strolled into the kitchen, then used my super-hearing to make sure my aunt was here. I was immediately met with her soft snores.

So she did come back from her date with Mark. I almost feared she'd spend the night with him.

I made myself a cup of coffee, because I liked the taste of it, then put my black jacket on and stared at the door.

Again, I started thinking about that incident last night. It only stopped when I went completely outside.  It couldn't be a prank; kids don't really do that in our neighborhood.