prologue

A/n- I realized I never uploaded this part and nearly cried. This is probably going to be less than ten chapters btw.

5:48 P.M.

I rushed to pack everything as quickly as I could. I shoved my poorly folded clothes into the last suitcase haphazardly. I placed my hygienic items in whatever space was left in the suit case. After I was certain I had everything I brought to America with me, I took my TOMS off and then shoved my converse shoes onto my sock covered feet moderately quickly. I then threw the TOMS in the suitcase. I was at a risk of being late for a flight that I couldn't afford to miss.

I had recently finished up helping with the SFX effects on a movie when I realized it was almost time for the annual Purge. It took me a ridiculous amount of time to get back to the hotel, nearly thirty full minutes, due to the damned traffic. This lead me to hurry back to my hotel and pray that I would be able to arrive at the airport on time and be able to get out of America before The Purge began.

I hated the Purge. It is a ridiculous American thing that I could never appreciate no matter how much I was told to. My husband, Vic, agreed with me on this. This was one of the many reasons why we had made the decision to move out of the United States. The other main reason was because we discovered I was pregnant with Carson, our two-month-old son. Neither of us wanted to risk our child just because of the corrupted government in the states, so we moved to London as soon as Vic got accepted for a job there.

The good thing about living in London meant we wouldn't have to participate in the idiotic purge in America. Every now and then I'd go to America due to my business position. Vic was reluctant to allow me to go this time, and I could understand why. I didn't want to go either, but I had to.

I was currently wishing that I hadn't gone to America. Because I knew I was going to be late to my flight.

6:00 P.M.

The siren sounding the purge blared throughout the city, making my heart sink into my stomach and my mouth go dry. I had been driving towards a safehouse that was for emergencies like this. As soon as the alarm stopped I pulled out my phone and called my husband's phone. He answered a few moments later.

"Hey, Kells. How's the plane so far?" He sounded relieved to hear from me, and he probably thought I wasn't in trouble. I heard our son making a happy gurgling noise, making me smile but Vic's question had brought my frown back.

"I, uh, I didn't make the flight." Vic was silent, the only sound was Carson trying to babble to him about something in his toddler language.

"Didn't make the flight?" He echoed finally. The relieved tone was replaced with one of concern and worry. I tried not to imagine his expression right now. I bit my lip, a nervous habit of mine, and thought for a second before saying anything else.

"Yeah, I... I'm going to go to that place you told me about. I'll do my best to stay safe, for you and Carson." I began. "I'll be back to you two as soon as I can, okay?" The line had fallen silent again. Our son had gone silent, probably sensing Vic's fear and worry.

"God dammit, Kellin." This was mostly said to himself, but it still didn't help the feeling that came over me when Vic said those words. "Okay." He finally said into the phone. "Keep me updated if you can, okay? And stay out of trouble. I don't want to loose you, Kells."

"I'll do my best. Take care of our son. I'll take the next flight out of here as soon as I can." I promised, making a turn and speeding down the road to get to the safehouse. "I love you, Vic. I gotta go. I need to pay attention to what roads I'm taking."

"I love you too, Kellin." I then ended the call.

I drove for twenty-three minutes, finally arriving at a small dark colored building in the woods. It was in a shady spot, but both Vic and I figured it was the best place to go to during the purge if I were to get caught in it. This place belonged to Vic's brother and since they were close Vic trusted him to protect me.

I parked next to a car in the driveway, which I almost didn't spot because of how it was placed. I exited the car, walking towards the door. The lights were off, but the curtains hanging up in the windows may have hidden any light that was shining in the house. This left it hard to spot in the distance, but since I had an address and knew where it was I had found it.

I had to wait a few minutes after ringing the doorbell for Mike to answer the door. He ushered me in quickly, shutting and locking the door when I was in the home. The home was warm, but not too warm, and the interior was rather homey and held warm tones to it. I sighed softly and looked to Mike when we had settled. I was sitting on the couch, feet curled up and resting on the couch. Mike had been talking with some pregnant guy in a whisper, making me curious but I figured it was a couple thing. I knew Mike had a boyfriend, I just wasn't for sure if this was him or not. It took Mike a few mintues before he sat down in a recliner near the couch.

"Thank you for helping me, Mike." I said sincerely, smiling softly at him.

"It's no problem." Mike was glancing over at the hallway the pregnant man had gone down. I couldn't help but notice the look of concern on his features.

"Is he your boyfriend or..?" I questioned after a moment. Vic's brother let his gaze fall back on me.

"Tony is my fiance." He didn't go into detail, but I figured that since they were fiance's they had to be pretty close for something like that to happen.

"Oh, that's good." I smiled at him, trying to be friendly. I ended up taking in the surroundings of the living room, since Mike decided not to say anything else. He had gotten up and was heading back to where Tony had gone.

I wondered if Mike and Tony lived here or if this was a place they went to when the purge was going on. I figured it was the first option. The place was well kept and nothing seemed to be gathering dust. It also looked like someone lived here. The room wasn't blank and was decorated, probably by Tony with some help from Mike or other friends. I couldn't be for sure.

I pulled out my phone and texted Vic, letting him know that I had arrived safely. I bit my bottom lip gingerly, wondering how the night would go. I was in a safe and secured house. Surely it couldn't go wrong, right?