Chapter 5

Our parents got another date a few days later. This time they went to a clothing shop. I guessed they were going to get something for their wedding.

                Gabriel and I decided to just wait for them outside the shop. We sat down at the corner, luckily, the corner of the shop were stairs.

                “Did your dad tell you already about this?” I asked him.

                “No,” he replied. “Does your mom?”

                “No,” I replied back. “Why can’t they just tell us?”

                “I think they think we will not approve of it,”

                “And we really don’t approve,” I said. “Oh no!”

                “What is it?” he asked me.

                “I forgot Yvonne and I need to meet each other,” I said. “Can I borrow your phone? Mine’s dead.”

                “My phone is also dead but I got another phone,” he said getting his phone from his pocket.

                “Can I?” I asked him.

                “No,” he said smiling.

                “Why?” I complained.

                “You just want to have my other phone’s number,” he said with a breezy smile.

                “What?” I asked.

                “You are just gonna text your phone and then –walah – you got my other phone’s number,” he pointed out.

                I snatched his phone from him. “I’m not!”

                He snatched it back. “You are not gonna fool me.”

                “You’re crazy!” I said snatching his phone.

                He was laughing at me. “Excuses!Excuses!” He again snatched his phone back.

                “I really am going to meet Yvonne today,” I snapped.

                I waited for a few second and then snatched his phone with force. But he put his phone high and I went out of balance.

                We were so shocked that we didn’t move.

                We were in an awkward position. I was on top of him holding his phone on top of his head. I immediately sat beside the wall. My heart was pounding so hard. I’m so glad there weren’t any people around. It was so embarrassing and it was all my fault.

                I know my face was burning right now with shame. I can’t look at him. I was holding his phone so tightly in my chest.

                I noticed he was looking at me and I didn’t look at him.

                “Aren’t you gonna text your friend?” he asked me.

                I looked at him and nodded. I texted Yvonne that I can’t meet her up today. After that, I gave Gabriel his phone back.

                “So, you texted your phone?” he teased.

                At a time like this, he can still tease me?

                “I didn’t,” I said.

                “Are you mad?” he asked me.

                “Why would I be mad?” I asked him back.

                “I don’t know. Maybe because of what happened – “ he said smiling.

                My head snapped and stared at him. “I really hate you.” I said stubbornly.

                When I said, he just smiled and laughed. It makes me feel good actually.

                After a few minutes, our parents went out of the shop holding a big box.

                “Is that a wedding gown?” I asked Gabriel.

                He didn’t answer me.

                Oh no! Their wedding was real! And we just can’t stop it! What should we do?    

                Yvonne called me that night. “What happened?” she asked me.

                “I’m so tired. I’m sorry I didn’t meet you up,” I told her.

                “That’s alright,” she said. “Do you think your parents really are going to get married?”

                “I think so,” I said. “And I think my mom already bought her wedding gown.”

                There was a pause. “So, you and Gabriel are going to be step brother and sisters, huh?”

                “Gabriel told me he doesn’t want me to be his step sister. And I don’t want to either,” I said.

                “Why?” Yvonne asked me.

                “I don’t know,” I said. Come to think of it, why don’t I want Gabriel to be my step brother?

                “Is it because you like him?” she asked me.

                “No!” I said. “You know I hate that guy. Yeah. That’s why. Because I hate him.”

                “If you say so, Alice,” she said.

                Was that the real reason? Because I hate him?Did I fall in love with Gabriel? Oh no! I think I did! That was why my heart was pounding when he was near. That was why I’m blushing when he smiled at me. And that was why I hate him so much because I can’t accept the fact that I like him!