Chapter 2

The following day, Yvonne and I were walking at the school ground when a ball hit me in the head. “Ouch!” I yelped.

                “Alice! Are you alright?” Yvonne asked me worriedly.

                “Where’s that ball come from?” I asked touching my head. “It hurts. I think my brain drop.”

                “I’m sorry,” someone coming said. “We didn’t mean to – “

                I looked at the coming person and saw Gabriel wearing his jersey uniform. He stopped talking when he saw me.

                “Why is it that when something bad is happening to me, you are always the reason?” I asked with obvious annoyance.

                “I don’t know,” he said. “Maybe you are in a wrong place at the wrong time. Or maybe you are just following me.”

                “So, this is my fault?” I said. “You are the one who hit me in the head. And I’m not following you!”

                “I didn’t. I’m only the one getting the ball,” he said. “Why are you so mad at me?”

                “Because I hate you,” I said gritting my teeth.

                “Stop it you guys,” Yvonne said. “Alice. Come on.” She grabbed my arm and pulled me away.

                “That guy, I really hate him!” I said stubbornly when we were at the school gate. “My head.” I massaged my head. “That ball really struck me, huh.”

                “You shouldn’t have said that,” Yvonne said to me.

                “What?” I asked her.

                “That you hate him,” she said.

                “But I really hate him.”

                “But he looks so sad when you said that.”

                “I don’t care. That serves him right.”

                Yvonne just looked at me and sighed.

                “I’m so glad it’s the last day of school,” I said. “I won’t be seeing him again for the whole summer vacation.”

                After school, I decided to go to the mall just to stall some time. Yvonne couldn’t come with me because her parents wanted her to help them with their diner. Her parents were nice. They were so good to me, they treat me as their own child.

I’m really jealous to those who had a complete family. My dad died when I was still a baby. I don’t remember anything about him. My mom always tells me that my dad was a nice and sweet guy. We had a big portrait of him in our living room. I wish I had known my dad. But I love my mom so much. She was the best mom for me. She became my mom and at the same time my dad. I know it was so hard for her.

Hmmm.. I think I’ll have a very big scoop of ice cream today. Yum, yum. I was about to climbed the elevator when I saw my mom with another guy. Who was that guy? I followed them until they stopped at a coffee shop.

I peered through the shop glass. I’m so glad this shop had a glass for the wall. I could see everything from here. I moved a little but I bumped into someone.

“Oh, I’m so sorry,” I apologized.

I looked who I bumped into and saw Gabriel.

“You,” I said sounding very upset.

“Why are you here?” he asked me looking so annoyed.

“It is none of your business,” I said. “Now, get away from me.”

“I’m not leaving,” he said looking inside the shop.

“Who are you looking at?” I asked him. He looked so cute when he’s peering like that. I shook my head, I should not be daydreaming at a time like this. My mom got a date!

“My dad,” he answered.

“Where?” I asked him.

He pointed at the guy my mom was talking.

“That’s you dad?” I hissed.

“Why? Do you know the lady he was talking to?” he asked.

“That’s my mom,” I said.

“That’s your mom?” he repeated.

“That’s what I just said,” I said looking inside. “Are they dating?”

“I don’t know,” he said. “My dad didn’t tell me anything.”

I looked at Gabriel. He was talking to me nicely. Was this really Gabriel?

Our parents got out of the shop and we didn’t saw where they went.

“I can’t believe my mom is dating somebody,” I said. “And worse, it is your dad. Where’s your mom?”

“She’s dead,” he said without a trace of sadness.

“I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to pry,” I said.

“Don’t worry about it,” he said. “That’s a long time ago. And your dad?”

“He’s dead,” I replied.

                There was silence and then, “Why are we being so nice to each other?” I said sternly.

                “Why?” he asked. “Oh, yeah. You hate me.” He said smiling at me.

                “And you are smiling about that?” I said.

                “Why? Can’t I smile?” he asked smiling even more widely.

                “Can you stop that?” I said angrily. “Your smile is creepy.”

                He laughed at me.I just stared at him when he laughed. His laugh was so sweet. I shook my head. Why am I thinking these things? In my sudden interest to leave him here, I tripped into his foot.

                “Ouch!”

                “What happened to you?” he asked looking down at me.

                People were looking at me. How embarrassing?!

                “I tripped because of your foot,” I said angrily.

                He laughed at me and helped me get up. “You’re so clumsy,” he laughed.

                “Laugh all you want. This is your fault,” I said.

                “Mine again, eh? You are the one who tripped. My foot isn’t doing anything to you,” he laughed.

                I glared at him. And I noticed our position. His hand was around my waist and his other hand was holding my right hand. My face was flushed. I immediately left him without saying anything.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's chapter 2. So, what do you think? :)