{Chapter 12}

Heyyyyyy guys! How are all my lovely readers on this fine day?

How did you guys like the last chapter? Tried to spice things up ;). But if you thought that was hot, get ready to burn because I've got a surprise for you! Drum rollllll please! There's a new love interest! *applause* Thank you, thank you. :) So without further ado I'll let you get to reading. Tell me what you think of him in your comments. And vote please! ^_^

Enjoy lovelies!

**********************

The laughter of two first graders chasing each other around their school playground filled the air. Carla chased the little boy with gray eyes, her best friend since before pre-k with a hand full or worms. He squealed and tried to hide from her behind the giant oak tree in the center of the yard but she snuck up behind him and tackled him. She dropped her worms in the process but did succeed in tickling him until tears rand down his face.

"Okay, okay stop! Please! I can't breathe!" the little boy gasped as he tried to return some of the air he'd lost to his lungs. Carla moved off him, sitting back with a wide grin on his face while he moved to sitting position. He gave her a brilliant smile of his own but this one held mischief and Carla barely had time to move before he jumped on her in a revenge tickle attack.

After Carla too had tears running down her face and was begging for mercy  he sat smugly back and rested against the side of the tree. Carla sat up too, wiping tears from her eyes as she giggled and snuggled in beside him, resting her head on his shoulder. After a moment a group of little boys rounded the tree, their eyes widening maliciously as they saw them.

Rather than make fun of them like they were a couple they zeroed in on Carla. When she was little her brown hair had been thin and wispy and her green eyes large, making her face appear owl like. The other kids teased her for it, "hooting" whenever she came near and the only friend she had was one she'd none since before she could walk. The son of her mother's best friend.

As the boys moved closer, the teases and taunts already sitting upon their lips she cowered and gripped the little gray eyed boy's arm tightly. He glared, his eyes narrowed and full of hate. The clear leader of the pack stepped forward. A squinty eyed, scrawny carrot top named Arnold.

"Hoo! Hoo!" he cried batting his arms like an owl. His friends laughed behind him, egging him on. "Looks like our little owl is all dirty! Filthy owl! Disgusting owl! Ugly bug eyed owl!" he screeched running around batting his arms like crazy. His friends laughed and joined in on the taunts. Carla looked at her yellow sun dress to see it was indeed covered in dirt stains from playing. Tears started to run silently down her face.

Her friend stood up, his little body silhouetted to her against the midday sun. Arnold stopped running to stare curiously. The little gray eyed boy walked over to Arnold and gave him a push until he fell on his butt. His friends gasped and moved back, making no move to help their fallen leader.

"If you ever tease or hurt Carla again," the little boy searched for a tough enough threat. Then he remembered something he'd seen on TV recently and repeated that. "I will end you," he spat out through gritted teeth. "No more heartbeat," he emphasized in a menacing tone. Arnold's eyes widened in fear.

He didn't know exactly what Ridian meant by "ending him" but he knew he would not like it. He crab walked back some before leaping to his feet and running away, immediately followed by his cronies. Ridian smirked and sat back down next to Carla who was staring at him in open mouthed shock. After a moment she broke into a face splitting grin and hugged him.

"You're my hero!" she shouted. Her friend blushed deeply but hugged her tightly back. When they pulled away he laced his fingers with hers, something he'd seen his dad do to his mom whenever she was sad. It always made her smile.