Chapter 7

"Do we really have to lock ourselves up again tonight," Brittany asked her alpha. Last night was the first night of the full moon and because of Rachel getting shot and Sue's overall fear of being a wolf in Lima they all decided to lock themselves in the cages in Sue's basement.

"You know why we have to do this," Rachel sighed. She hated being locked up as much as Brittany did, but she knew that it was for their own protection.

"It just doesn't feel right being cooped up in a cage. I mean, it's the full moon. We should be running and hunting. Playing with you in the cage is okay, but I'd rather play outside."

"Believe me, I know. I want to run as much as you do if not more. Being caged is kind of like dying inside, but it isn't safe for us right now until we figure out who shot me and why. Now as much as we both hate it, we're both going to be at your mom's by six and we're going to lock ourselves in. Don't make me come looking for you, Brit."

"Fine."

...

"Santana," Brittany called out after Cheerio practice. "You've been avoiding me ever since the day we kissed and I don't like it."

"Shh," the Latina scolded. "Did you have to say that so loud?"

"Actually I did. What are you afraid of?"

"I'm not..."

"You are. You're afraid of something and I don't know what it is."

"Brittany..."

"I know you like me. That's a given, because you think I'm influencing you and I'm not. Is it because I'm a werewolf? Or is it because I'm a girl? What are you afraid of?"

"Everything," Santana whispered. "Can we go somewhere more private?"

Brittany nodded and Santana led her to an empty classroom. "I afraid of everything," the brunette continued. "I'm afraid because I have all these feelings, feelings for you that I don't understand. What I feel isn't like anything I've ever felt before. It's different than when the twins put their aura on me or what I feel with Puck. It's stronger. It's powerful. And I can't deny it, as much as it does scare me."

"What do you feel," the blonde asked as she closed the gap between them.

"I like you. And it's got to potential to be much stronger than that. My feelings grow every day. And when we kissed, for the first time it felt right. It felt like home. Like I belonged with you, and that scares me."

"What so wrong about being with me?"

"Nothing wrong with it. It's just its hard. Now, I don't know about how it was in New York, but in Lima, being gay is hard. There is still a lot of homophobia here and my grandmother would disown me if she knew. Plus, there is the werewolf factor. My parents didn't know what those twins did to me, but they know they did something to me. And they know what werewolves can do to people. They wouldn't completely trust you. And I don't like that because for some reason, I trust you."

"You trust me," Brittany questioned pressing their bodies so that their lips were only inches away.

"Yes."

"Show me." With that the werewolf closed the gap between them completely by wrapping her arms around Santana and kissed her with all that she had. The Latina moaned into the kiss and moved her lips against hers. Brittany held the girl close and sat down on the bench pulling the brunette to straddle her.

...

"Brittany," Rachel's voice suddenly broke out in the blonde's head. "Where are you? It's after six." Brittany froze. She and Santana were so focused on kissing each other that they lost track of time.

"What's wrong," the Latina asked.

"It's late," Brittany answered. "I'm sorry," she apologized to her alpha. "I'm at school with Santana."

"Do you have to go," Santana questioned.

At the same time, Rachel yelled at her. "At school? You'll never get to your mom's before the moon rises. Find someplace to lock yourself up."

"I'm sorry," the blonde said aloud.

"What's going on," Santana demanded.

"I'm going to change soon," Brittany explained as she quickly fled down the hallway with the other girl in tow. "I was supposed to go home and lock myself in a cage at my mother's house, but I don't have enough time to get there. I have to lock myself up somewhere."

"Why can't you just run in the woods?"

"Cause last time Rachel ran in these woods she got shot. So, we're going to lock ourselves up for protection in case someone is hunting us or something."

"What?"

"You heard me, now I got to go."

"Wait. I know a place. Second floor, room 215. No one uses that room at night. Puck found a key to it one day and I have a copy of it. You'll be safe in there."

"Show me."

Santana quickly led Brittany into the room. "How much time do you have?"

"Not...ah," Brittany gasped as the changed started to take over. "Santana get out of here. Now!" Santana runs out the door as the werewolf sheds her clothes as fast as she can. The Latina takes a second to admire the other girl's naked body before slamming the door shut and locking it. She peers through the window on the door and watches as the blonde's body contorts and convulses painfully. She holds her breath until the transformation is over and looks in amazement at the white wolf through the glass. The wolf got up and faced the door making eye contact. And in that moment, Santana felt compelled to go to the wolf. But, her voice of reason kicked in as she fumbled with the key. Fighting, everything in her, Santana left Brittany in the room and headed home.

She heard a sad howl as she walked away. "I'll be there in the morning," the Latina whispered to the empty hallways.

In the room, Brittany's heart was breaking. In that one glance she shared with Santana, she discovered her mate. And watching her walk away was the hardest thing she ever had to do.