Chapter 1

'This is perfect,' Rachel thought to herself as she stood naked in her new wooded backyard. The sun had set and it was the perfect time to explore her territory. This was her land, well her pack's land. And as she was alpha of said pack, it truly did belong to her.

She inhaled and smiled. That smell was intoxicating. The smell of the trees, grass, fog. Living in Manhattan, it wasn't something she smelt very often. Not that she planned on moving from there, she didn't have a choice.

She lived in New York with her two fathers and her mother. But, her mother didn't belong to her pack. Her father's used her mother, Shelby, as a surrogate. Shelby was from a pack whose territory was on the west coast. Though she lived in New York with them, and associated herself with the northeast pack, the west pack never gave up their ties to her.

There were also four other families of pack mates in New York, the Smiths, the Roberts, the Fredericks, and the Pierces. Truthfully, she was closest to the Pierces than any other family, but that was because it was her best friend, Brittany's family. But, as none of the other families had children, it was easy to see why the two young werewolves stuck together.

Brittany and Rachel did everything together for the most part. They played together since they were in diapers. They shared their first kiss and first times with each other. After they both made their first change (Brittany's was a year later than Rachel's) they ran and hunted together when they could. They were as close as sisters and now they very nearly were.

Their move from New York to Lima wasn't planned. As a werewolf, it is their sacred duty to hunt and kill vampires. And in New York, they didn't think they were doing too badly. That is until a group of vampires organized and killed all of the pack that was out hunting that night, which was everyone, but Rachel, Brittany, and Shelby, who wasn't allowed to take part in those pack hunts. With their deaths, Rachel became Alpha, being the most dominant wolf (Although, she may have been the most dominant wolf while the others were alive, too. She never tested her dominance against her fathers.). So, they forced to move out to another area of their territory, where another pack member lived.

Brittany nudged Rachel. "You don't want to run anymore do you?" The blonde winked and gazed at the shorter girl's naked body.

"Stop that," Rachel projected into the taller girl's head.

"Use your mouth," the blonde flirted. "Although I would rather you use it for other things."

The brunette began to feel the heat from her companion's sexual aura.

"Stop that," the alpha demanded, her eyes aglow with her inner demon, and immediately the heat was gone. Rachel was grateful; the aura of a werewolf could make even the most unwilling person willing.

"Sorry. Are we gonna run or not? I mean we are out here naked."

Rachel inhaled one last time and braced herself. She called to her wolf, who answered without hesitation. She quickly exhaled through the discomfort of her shifting organs. Her breathing became labored as her bones shifted and crunched. She moved to all fours, trying to help her aching body to get into a move comfortable position as the change took over her. Fur burst through her skin like needles. She heard a low whimper from Brittany who body was going through the same process. 'It's over soon.' She told herself. 'It's worth the pain.' Once her body finished her transformation she laid on the ground and panted.

When the alpha stood, she shook her black fur and nudged her white-pelted friend. Brittany groaned, but stood as well. The taller girl always took a longer time to recover than her younger friend. Rachel smirked and used that to her advanced as she took off running, knowing full well that Brittany would chase her when she was ready.

Rachel ran through the woods, taking in the area with all her enhanced senses. The smell of the air, and trees; the feel of the cool dirt ground beneath her paws; the sounds of birds flying overhead, she loved it all. But, then she heard something out of the ordinary, the sound of glass clashing against each other. Wolves are curious by nature; she had to check it out. She rushed over to the sound and found herself looking at someone's backyard. Through the trees, she managed to see a girl who features were shrouded in the darkness that surrounded her. The wolf crept closer to try to get a better look. The girl turned to head back into the house, but all Rachel wanted to do was be near that girl. She started moving closer, trying to hopefully catch at least the girl's scent, when she felt a dull pain on her tail. The black wolf yelped, and spun around to see Brittany smirking back at her. Rachel growled at her friend and turned back to head into the yard, when she hit what felt like a brick wall.

"What," the alpha asked.

Brittany walked over to when her friend was and found the same invisible barrier. Both girls looked around for the cause of the blockage, when Rachel finally spotted it.

"Look. Silver medallions with wolfsbane. Someone is magically keeping us out of here."

"Not just us," Brittany replied, looking at some wooden crosses placed nearby. "Hey, smell that?"

"Squirrel," the black wolf smirked.

"Mine."

"Not if I beat you to it." And with a howl, they both ran off to chase some dinner.