Leland sniffed the air. He distinctly noted the subtle fragrance of honey-vanilla and cayenne pepper wafting through the apartment. Female. He turned to Vanessa, "Don't lie to me. I know someone is here."

"Why do you do this every time? What does it matter?" She picked up her shirt and coat from the floor, the mood sufficiently dead.

"So there is someone here." He didn't bother to grab his clothes.

"You know," she took a stance and pointed her perfectly manicured finger at his face, "I'm getting sick and tired of your issues."

Leland leveled his gaze at her. The look in his blue eyes froze her in her spot. He spoke in a soft, yet menacing voice, dripping with icy warning, "I wouldn't point that finger at me if I were you, unless you prefer not to keep it."

She immediately dropped her hand. Why the hell am I still seeing him? She asked herself. Oh yeah, the man is fucking amazing in bed. With an exaggerated sigh she called out, "Come out please."

He heard the footsteps, padding as softly as possible in cotton socks, before the rather unremarkable woman entered the room. She wore the typical uniform of a modern household maid, dark slacks and a polo shirt with the insignia of her place of employment, Housekeeping Elegance. It was a horrible name, but apparently was Vanessa's favorite maid service. Her new maid stood ready with hands clasped before her. Her dark brown hair was neatly wrapped in a slick bun and her light brown eyes were cast down in submission. Just like the rest of the housekeepers he met in the three weeks he had been seeing Vanessa.

He noted the subtle redness peeking above her collar that spoke of her nervousness and ease of embarrassment. "What is your name?"

"Maria," Vanessa answered for her. Her maids were always named Maria.

Leland noted Vanessa's pulse quickened a bit and her temperature rose slightly. She was lying. Why did she ever bother to try? He was like a living lie detector. Looking at Maria he could practically smell her indecision. "What is your real name?"

Vanessa tried to speak up, but he held his hand up and she was silenced. He waited. Then the housekeeper lifted her eyes and held his attention with her gaze, which contained a quiet strength that shimmered just beneath the irises, as if her submissive behavior were a mask to hide her true self. Her body language said she was a menial servant, but her eyes whispered something else, "Elizabeth."

Her voice was soft, honest, yet unyielding. Leland suppressed a groan. What did her voice do to him? "Is that what you prefer to be called?"

"Liz is fine," her gaze never wavered from him. Why did he find it so intense?

"I call all my maids Maria. You know that," Vanessa interrupted, breaking his focus. "It's part of my contract. Isn't that right?" she asked Liz, who nodded. Her eyes immediately were cast down again, much to Leland's disappointment.

There was a moment of awkward silence as Vanessa held her blouse to her breast, Leland was shirtless with his arms crossed over his massive chest, and Liz swayed lightly in place. "May I be dismissed?"

"Oh," Vanessa looked around, "Clean this mess first."

For some reason it bothered him to watch Liz pick up his clothes off the floor. He bent over as she did and they both reached for his shirt. "I've got it," he said softly. She snapped back up and nodded. Her pulse quickened and a red blush crept up from her collar. The view of a shirtless sex god was a bit much for her. She rushed out of the room before embarrassing herself.

"I hope I didn't just lose another maid," Vanessa grumbled.

Leland grabbed his clothes from the floor and mused, "I have a feeling she'll stay." The smell of her still filled his nostrils and the look in her eyes was a captivating thought. This one was a puzzle to him. She moved like an underling, but her voice and her eyes...those eyes, said something altogether different.

In the back of the apartment, hiding in the laundry room Liz took in a deep breath. She never expected anything like this happening to her. There are stories, always stories, of the crazy things that the rich bosses do, but wow. Her boss's boyfriend looked like he would eat her. And his eyes. My God, she thought. She'd never seen such blue eyes before. Vanessa sure knew how to pick the hot ones, that's for sure. It took a lot of effort to maintain eye contact when she talked to him. How anyone could do anything but stare at his amazing body was beyond her.

Shaking her head at herself, she thought, Be professional. She needed this job to pay for school, and she was determined to make it through college. Her mother would have wanted it no other way. The thought of her mom sobered her. Taking in another deep breath she gathered her belongings and slipped out through the servants' entrance. Hopefully she wouldn't have to worry about the dark-haired boyfriend anymore.

***************************************

Does anyone else think Leland is a man whore?

And what do you think of Liz?

Please let me know what you think.  Also, I appreciate your votes.

Thanks for reading my first romance novel, ever!  :-)