The Road to Darkness

Link's P.O.V.

Midna and I had returned back to the realm of Twilight to find Zant back by the shrine.

"Zant," Midna called as she approached him, "where were you yesterday? We really needed you." Zant seemed to hesitate a bit but collected himself.

"I was just out. I was looking for ways to help Link over here." He pointed at me. I felt a sense of uneasiness in his tone but brushed it off. "Shall we start?"

I nodded.

"Midna, can you get my notes for me in the palace?" Zant asked. Midna obliged and went it.

"Link," Zant told me, "I'll be right back. Just give me a few minutes."

I nodded as he walked into the distance. I took the Master Sword from its sheath and started slashing it around when a thought suddenly came to mind.

"Since when was Zant ever allowed access into the palace? Even when Zant was free from Ganondorf, Midna never allowed him in there..."

Suddenly, a scream came from the palace. I ran as swiftly as I could and barged through the door. In the center of the room, Midna was warding off the evil Twili.

"Evil Twili? Where have I seen those before...no way...it can't be...could it?"

"Link!" Midna yelled from the center. "Find Zant. He might be spreading these creatures out there!"

I nodded and ran out the door to find Zant back in that fish head cloak of his. The same cloak he wore before.

I glared at the traitor. "I knew you weren't capable of being good."

Zant simply shrugged, "I was capable, Link. I truly was. But let's just say this was all your doing."

"What do you mean my doing?" I hissed at him.

He simply laughed, "When you mentioned that (Y/N) girl, I just had to visit her for myself and make a deal with her. I'd told her I'd help her conquer Hyrule."

"You what?" I growled, anger rising from within. "Conquer Hyrule? You must be joking."

"Alas,  I am not, Link." Zant spoke. "As of right now, Zelda is being held captive by the one and only (Y/N) with the help of Ganzon. And as you waste your time talking to me..." He walked around me in circles.

"Let's just say that other parts of the Kingdom are slowly being brought to ruin. Looks like you'll have to get yourself much quicker to Achlys Valley than you thought."

I clenched my fist. I wanted to cut this guy' neck so bad.

"No, Link. You are not one to murder out of anger."

I couldn't help myself. Anger was rising within me and I felt Shadow Link coming to the surface.

"I told you not to get weak, Link," the shadow taunted. "You see this anger you have right now? Makes my job all the easier unless you can learn to tame yourself."

And within a split second, I lost complete control of my body.

"Looky here," Zant said, "Hello, Shadow Link."

I grinned a wide, evil smile. "You're greeting the wrong thing, Zant. I believe you should be saying hello to your death."

I leaped into the air as my red eyes targeted the stupid Twili.

"That's right, Link," Zant said as he quickly dodged, "Kill me and you'll gain an even darker soul."

"Shut up, Zant!" I yelled as I brought myself in for another attack.

"With that darker soul of yours," Zant continued, "You'll never revert back to the Hero of Time. You will join (Y/N) and help her conquer Hyrule. That's what you want right? To be with her once again?"

It was true. I did want to be with her. Just not in the way of taking over Hyrule. I didn't want to be with the demon she has become, I wanted to be with the regular human a met awhile back...it's too bad my shadow wasn't thinking that.

I jumped in for the kill.

"Link!" Midna yelled as she through me into the wall.

"You can't kill him yet."

"Why not?" Shadow Link spat.

"We need him for the portal."

With that, Midna used her magic to capture Zant. She then came over and spoke in some foreign language. I felt myself becoming free of Shadow Link's control. I glared at the now-trapped Zant. To think one could be easily corrupt just for power.

"Midna," I said sternly, "I need to get to Achlys Valley as soon as possible."

She gave me a look of concern, "Did you not see what happened to you, Link? You let your anger control you and you became something you didn't want to be."

I sighed as I sat myself on the floor. "I know, Midna, I know. Just one brief trip is all I need. I just need to work on controlling my emotions and maybe, if I go to Achlys Valley, it will help."

"I don't know," Midna spoke still hesitant.

I pleaded with her, "Midna, please. If I go to Achlys Valley, I'll have to be in my shadow form. And what better way to train other than doing that?"

Midna exhaled and finally agreed, "Fine. Let's do it."

"Thank you, Midna."

She commanded Zant to create a portal which he reluctantly did. I walked through the portal preparing myself for Shadow Link.

"Though I may carry your appearance, Shadow Link, I will never be like you."