Twenty Six

I absolutely hate hospitals. I detest everything about them. From the dull fluorescent lights to the fucking insanity that is the so called waiting rooms, everything about it sucks. 

I fell asleep reading pamphlets full of crucially detailed paragraphs on disgusting sexually transmitted diseases I never even knew existed. Maybe its the high school dropout in me, but I'm glad I missed most of Sex Ed. 

A doctor, thankfully one I was proud that was operating on my whole world, popped his head on out of the emergency room. 

"Sam." Dr. Hale said. 

I shot upward and raised my eyebrows at him. 

"He's in critical condition, but..." 

I nodded him on. 

"But?" 

"He's alive." 

I ran up and hugged him, and even though it must have looked strange to every passerby who came our way, I couldn't help it. 

Suddenly, Stiles was behind me, scoffing. 

"Am I interrupting something?" He clicked his tongue. 

Dr. Hale shoved me off of him. "Stiles, no. It wasn't...I didn't," he stumbled for words and blushed furiously. 

Stiles rolled his eyes. "I know. I'm just messing with you. Nice to see you again Sam." 

I nodded and sat back down awkwardly into my seat. 

Stiles gave Derek a peck on the cheek and sighed. "I came here to tell you that Alison's funeral is this Sunday and Scott really wants you there." 

Derek nodded and Stiles walked on. 

They really were an adorable couple. 

"Anyway, it may be a few hours before he wakes back up with all the anesthetic we gave him. And since you aren't immediate family, you'd usually have to wait until visiting hours promoted it, those being from two pm to three pm." 

He smiled. "Although I consider him the only family you've got, so I can pull a few strings and get you in the second after his eyes open." 

"Thank you so much," I smiled back. 

He almost went back in the room but then stopped himself. 

"Uh, Stiles wanted me to ask awhile ago if you two wanted to like go out to dinner with us or something, I don't know he went on and on about how we didn't have any couple friends and blah blah blah. Despite that adorable exterior he's got, he is stubborn as hell, and he won't stop bothering me unless you either accept or decline-"

I laughed. "Yeah, we'd love to." 

Derek nodded. "The wife will love this," he said sarcastically.