Four

"Welcome to Clearwater Cliffs Motel," said a boy with quiffed brown hair behind the counter, absentmindedly scrolling through Instagram and then looked up at me. "Woah."

I wiped tears from my cheeks quickly. It was strange how vulnerable he made me feel.

"Are... Are you okay?" he said, dropping his phone and running to my side.

"Those are some nasty cuts on your face there..." he noted. I reached up to touch them the same time he did and our fingers met. I quickly pulled my hand away.

"Here, I have some bandaids in the desk." He ran over and rummaged through the cabinets until he found some. I was in the lobby, and chose to sit down the arm of a sofa.

The boy came back over with the bandaids and carefully placed several in several different places. He sat next to me with a towel and dabbed at the blood.

"What's your name?" he asked, finally finished.

"Uh...." I hesitated. I wasn't sure that I should tell him, considering my situation.

"Oh, come on. I see many different people come through here, looking for a hideaway, a safe haven, of sorts. Fake names piled upon fake names. You can trust me with the real one, I promise."

I bit my lip and he slightly eyed it, which I noted before speaking. "Sam Pottorff."

He nodded and extended his grip. "Kian Lawley," he introduced himself by shaking my hand. I smiled.

"I'm guessing you need a room, right? And unlisted?"

"Yes, thank you..."

He went to his desk, looked in a scribbled old notebook and frowned.

"Oh, uh."

"What?" I asked.

"There's been some sort of mistake... all the rooms are booked. And this is the only place to stay in this town."

"Oh."

He sighed. "You know what? Stay at my place. Fuck it."

I smiled and he grabbed his keys. "Really?" I asked.

He held out his arm and linked it with mine. "Yep. Let's go, darlin'."

I couldn't deny the blushing that was happening on my face. But more than that, I was greatful for a place to stay.