Two

As the car started up, tears flowed down my cheeks like a waterfall and I sped on out of town. Leaving your hometown isn't something very fun, as you watch each section of the city break away from you and become a simple memory.

I was in San Clemente, California, I was sixteen, and I was alone. There was no one in sight as I pulled the Jeep up to the gas station. It took a hell of a lot of courage for me to walk in and grab a snack before continuing my journey. In my hand I held my keys, and double locked my car, and my wallet.

A man was at the counter and he addressed me. "Hey," he said as I placed a bag of Doritos in front of him.

"Hi," I muttered.

"You're a little young to be driving alone so late at night, don't you think?" He said, scanning it.

I nodded. "Yeah, I guess so."

He handed the Doritos back to me. "That will be 2.16," he said.

I handed him two one dollar bills and then rummaged for the sixteen cents, finally plopping down a dime, a nickel and a penny on the counter.

He slid the coins into the cash register and I went on my way, bumped by an angry man on the way out.

"Watch it, kid."

I clenched my jaw as I was about to throw open the doors and get the hell out of there.

I hear a crash and spin around to see the clerk with hands up and the other man pointing a gun at him.

The worker shot me a 'call the police' vibe so I shot out the door quickly before the shooter had time to notice and huddled myself in the car. At first, I didn't even want to call the police. I thought that if I did, I would get into even more trouble and I would be forced to go back to my horrible father. Through the dusty front window of my car I could make out the glimpse of blood embellishing the window. I caught my breath and dialed 911.

"C'monnnn..." I muttered into the phone, growing ever more impatient as the gunman didn't stop before clearing out the cash register.

"911, what is your emergency?" An operator spoke into the phone.

"Hello? Hi! I'm in a gas station parking lot and there's someone inside who shot the worker and is stealing all the money right now!"

The words flew out of my mouth hastily.

"Where are you?"

I looked around for a road sign.

"Uh... Pasadena!"

"Okay, get out of there, the police are on their way." They hung up and I immediately sped out of the area.

That was a close one, I thought to myself.