(Fenris/Hawke) Watching

When I first met Hawke, I watched her. She was a mage, and I felt that it would be est if I kept my eye on her and on the other mages she had with her. I was suspicious, I felt like she wouldn't always use her power to help. But I was wrong.

She took me to the deep roads with her, and by the end of the awful expedition I knew I wasn't just watching her because of her magic anymore. When Bartrand closed the door in the thaig and walked away, I watched Hawke's reaction. The raven-haired mage had an expression of fear on her face when the door slammed shut. As Varric yelled at his brother through the stone, I watched her hands shake, her fingers curled into fists as she attempted to calm herself. By the time Varric turned around, she seemed just as calm as she always did. Anders probably hadn't seen her actions from where he was standing, so I was probably the only one to catch that moment. It struck a cord in me. I realized how I hadn't been seeing her as a person, more like a mage who was probably going to falter. Now I wanted to protect her, as crazy as that sounds.

After the Deep Roads, I still watched her. It took me a while to realize how close I was watching her though. It was a windy day in Hightown, and I saw her pull her hair into a ponytail at the base of her neck. It wasn't really important, it was just that I suddenly noticed that her hair had gotten longer over the time I'd known her. The important part was that I liked it that way. I didn't travel with her for a few days after that. I spent them trying to sort out what was going on in my head. The answer hit me like a sledgehammer: I was falling for Hawke.