(Modern!Alistair/Cousland) The Little Things

Aubrina's POV

The sun is shining brightly through our window, the rays of light softened by our thin curtains before they reach our bed. It's warm, but not uncomfortably so. I blink for a moment as my eyes adjust, then turn over to see my sleeping husband.

Alistair's facial expression is one of peace. I know he must be dreaming of either me of cheese because he's smiling, the corners of his lips turned up just enough. I reach down and knot my fingers in his, and he twitches, smile growing wider as his eyelashes flutter, revealing his hazel eyes.

"G'morning, love." he murmurs, voice low from sleep. I smile, leaning forward for a soft peck on the lips.

"And to you, as well." I whisper back. We're awake, I know we are because I hear our neighbor's dog barking, but other than that, I can almost believe I'm dreaming. Maker, what had I done to deserve to wake up like this?

It's things like this, small, simple things, that I appreciate most. Sure, grand romantic gestures involving candlelight dinners are nice and all, but nothing compares to laying beside Alistair in the quiet morning before the day begins.

Ali makes breakfast because I can't cook to save my life, and as he does so, I pull my phone out of the pocket of my robe and snap a quick picture. It's perfect. The sunlight shines down on him through the kitchen window, his hair is a little messy and definitely in need of a trim, and there's this happy look of concentration on his face. He notices the phone in my hand and he gives me a pouty expression, and I laugh, slipping the phone back in my pocket.

"Delete iiiiit!" he whines, and I shake my head, slowly walking backwards towards the doorway before he takes a step forward. Suddenly I'm being chased, he's behind the couch and I'm in front of it, and we're both laughing. I try to dart to the side and he jumps over the couch and catches me in his arms from behind. I fall onto the soft cushions and he's on top of me, straddling my waist. I beg, plead, giggles falling from my mouth before his hands even brush against my sides. I never pictured a tickle fight being so romantic.

"Are you gonna delete it?" he asked, and I shield my eyes from his victorious smirk with my arms.

"Never!" I shout, laughing breathlessly. Suddenly, the fire alarm goes off, and with a surprised yelp Alistair falls off of the couch and barely finds his footing before barrelling into the kitchen to put out the charcoal we once called bacon. I sigh, giving myself a moment to catch my breath before getting up and following him. He's hopping around the kitchen with a smoking pan, and I point to the sink. He looks at me as though he'd completely forgotten we even had a sink before nodding determinedly and all but throwing the pan into the dishwater. I walk over to the stove and turn the burner off since he forgot, and he's pouting again.

"Now what are we going to eat?" he asks forlornly. I roll my eyes and walk by him, catching his hand in mine as I go and pull him out of the smoky kitchen.

"Let's go to the cafe down the street. Leliana will surely take pity on you and give you something." I say, and Alistair grumbles a little but he joins me in getting dressed for the short trip.

The day has begun, but I'll always be appreciating the little things, no matter the hour.