Freaks of Nature

AN: I'm SO SORRY that it took me so long to post. I want to thank everyone who read and commented. They're inspitation to finish faster!

Freaks of Nature

It was cold and the night was clear; the full moon was at its highest point. I could hear the cheers from the town’s people and the harsh growls from the Alpha males behind me. I shivered in fear and hesitation; becoming more unease when I felt the slight nudge against my abdomen.

“You're going to get a 20 minute head start!” The leader yelled. He was dressed in the traditional leader outfit; painted in tribal red and blue up and down his bare chest with thick black tribal lines covering his face, black fur shorts and bare feet. All the other males were, except me… naked.

He blew the weird shaped animal horn and I went running through the forest; feeling the branches and bushes scratch at my legs. I didn’t know where I was going, when everything looked the same, it felt as if I was running in circles. I fell, tripping over a tree root when I heard the gruesome howling from somewhere behind me. I knew they were chasing me. He said that this was an Alpha Tradition... the chase. That’s what they like most…

I managed to push my way through some of the deep forest and found my way to our special clearing. I could feel the adrenaline wearing thin and fatigue starting to follow. I desperately needed find a place to hide… but where?

I limped slowly over to the other side and to the small water fall that was there. From what I remembered, there was a small alcove behind the water fall that will most likely mask my scent. I sighed in relief as I started to climb over the rocks but I suddenly stopped; I felt as if someone was here with me. That was impossible… he wasn’t supposed to find me, at least not until later.

I glanced to the side to see glowing red eyes following my every move. I felt a wave of relief as he stepped out of the bushes in his Beta form; he looked worn out but I could tell that he was pleased to find me so quickly.

“My love, I knew you’d come here.” He whispered as he pulled me close; my chin pressed into the nook of his shoulder.

“I’m scared… I thought another Alpha was going to find me. I’m your mate… I don’t understand why we are doing this. Please tell me that it will be over soon?” I whimpered against him. I inhaled his scent; peppermint, home and just a pinch of the forest, and right away I could feel myself calming down. We stood in silence; him holding me close and whispering sweet words in my ears while rubbing small circles on my exposed stomach.

“I love you Rory. I’ll do anything to protect you and our baby. They’ll never have you… Okay…”

“I love you to-”

I felt a shock go through his body and I saw blood on my hands. He leaned against my shoulder moaning in pain. He was heavy and I couldn’t hold him for more than a minute before I let him collapsed on the ground and that’s when I saw the familiar arrow protruding from his back.

“NO!”

I knelt down and held him in my arms. He gave me one of his rare smiles as the life drained from his body. I started to feel the burn from the tears as it welled in my eyes. Hearing the muffled cries getting closer, I wiped my tears away and let determination set in my mind as I went off into the night.

----l1l1l1l----

Violent shaking snapped me out of my day dream. I slowly glanced to the side to see Kieran giving me a curious glance.

“Rory… you looked troubled. Do you what us to head back?” He questioned as he noticed that I have stopped walking.

I finally noticed where we were and realized that I spent the whole time walking to downtown Wolfe day dreaming about the horrific dream I had last night.