Chapter 15

•Draculaura's POV•

I sat comfortably in my hospital bed, sipping at my hot-as-hell spookachino, tapping the sides of the portable cup nervously. Every time I heard a small noise, my eyes darted towards the door, expecting to see Venus walk in at any moment.

"D, stop panicking," Clawdeen spoke softly beside me, raising an eyebrow at my transparent behaviour.

"About what?" I attempted to reassure her.

"Venus and Clawd. It might seem awful now, but it will work out, I promise." She outstretched her hand to mine, pulling it away from the cup and squeezing it ever so slightly. I raise my gaze to hers and smile softly. I had tried to persuade her to go home and look after herself, but I think she felt obliged to stay otherwise I would have been on my own.

"You needn't stay, I'll be fine, I promise," I whisper.

"But I want - need to be here for you. Anyway, this is my brothers mess, I might as well try and clear up some of it," she sighed.

"Don't think like that, it's not your responsibility." I insisted calmly.

"I know, I know," she reasoned, shaking her head slowly and looking down. "He's treated you so appallingly, Draculaura, you just wait until I get my paws on him."

"Maybe I deserved it," I wonder, tears filling in my eyes. With everything that's happened, it was too often that I thought about whether I was responsible for Clawds actions. Maybe I came on too strong and it frightened him, or perhaps I didn't express my love enough, or showed it in the wrong ways. I knew alcohol always clouded your judgment. But I couldn't help but feel if he was truly happy with me, none of this would have happened...

"You can't say that! You could never deserve this. This is all his fault, him behaving in such a selfish way. You're such a loving person, nothing like this should have ever happened to you, so please don't blame yourself!" Clawdeen exclaimed, her shock struck eyes glaring into mine "Don't ever feel like you deserve any of this, because you truly don't."

I sat silently, staring at a crease in my bed sheets and thinking. Being stuck in my little room left me plenty of time to overthink and panic about the events of the party.

My phone rang, ceasing my thoughts. Clawdeen immediately reaches over and grabs it for me, answering the phone and handing it to me.

"Hey, Laura, I'm really sorry but I don't think I can make it tonight. The Police have been round about the whole break in and my mum needs me right now." Venus echoes down the phone.

I breathed a small sigh of relief. "Oh, it's absolutely fine, I understand." I respond.

"I'm sorry," she spoke, her voice filled with sadness.

"Don't be, honestly, it's not your fault. I hope you and your mother are okay."

"We'll make it through. I hate to ask, but do you know where Clawd is?"

My heart dropped.

"No," I replied gently. "He didn't let me know."

"Ah, okay, sorry, not to worry," she hummed. "I'll ring you tomorrow and I hope you're feeling better."

"Thanks, you too," I ended the call. There was nothing left to say. At one point I would have considered this ghoul one of my closest fiends, but now I didn't feel that. I couldn't open up to her knowing what she had done with the person I loved. How could I speak to her so sweetly knowing it was her fault too? I couldn't let that go and forgive her. I realised I regret how nicely I was treating her. She was in the wrong too, and although this had been hard on her, if she had just had decency and morals, none of this would have happened. Maybe I wouldn't have even been lying in this hospital bed.