Interview W/ ScriptWriter21

By far the longest interview yet!! Well here you go (:

1.) How did you find out about Wattpad…?

It was about three years ago, I was looking for a way to share my work with other people. At that point in time, my friends and family didn't really know I wrote, so I needed a way of sharing my words with people and getting feedback. I just happened to stumble upon Wattpad, and I instantly loved it. Took me about 3 months before I actually got an account, and I've been writing on it ever since. (I had an old account previously to this new one).

2.) Can you relate to any of your stories…?

For sure. I think writing is most pure when it comes from something you’ve actually tangibly experienced. When you can relate to what you’re writing about, and you have a strong emotional grasp on your words, it’s just going to come out more realistic, and people are going to be able to relate better. That’s why I didn’t start writing what I considered to be really organic, good stuff until around sixteen. As cliché as it is, my own relationships in my life are what I draw from when I’m writing teen fiction and romance. And, of course, the fact that I’m twenty means I’m close to the subject matter I’m writing about.

3.) What are your hobbies…?

I'm actually probably the most boring person on the planet, to be honest. But I kind of dabble in a lot of different things. Of course I love writing, but what a lot of people don't know is I'm actually at University for Film. So film, screenwriting, directing, editing, all that stuff is a major hobby/passion of mine. And then I'm an insane music buff. I could spend days going through my vinyl collection. I'm a massive singer songwriter fan, so most of my stuff you've probably never heard of, but it's great. Other than that, skiing, hiking, windsurfing, surfing, I pretty much do every sport you can name.

4.) Are you more of a reader or writer…?

I'd say it's a solid 40/60 split. I write more than I read, for sure, but I'm an avid reader when I have writers block.

5.) What is your favorite story on Wattpad…?

I have a lot of favorite stories, but if I had to narrow it down to just one, I'd say Float by ToastedBagels. I don't know what it is about it, but it's just so well written and the characters are so well developed beyond a lot of stuff on Wattpad these days. It's incredible, I adore her writing.

6.) When did you decide you wanted to become an Author...?

I’ve been writing pretty much since I started reading. It sounds really cheesy, but when I was six or seven, I got really into books. And then, almost instantaniously, I write little two or three page stories, handwritten, and by ten or eleven I had stacks of stories. My first actual short story was when I was around thirteen, and I wrote a 200 page book that same year. But I don’t think I started taking it seriously until high school, because I had all these ideas that translated onto page, and I turned a love for words into a love for telling stories. And that's got me to where I am today, where I'm actually serious about becoming an author--although now, my interests have actually turned writing into a "hobby" and script writing, into the kind of author thing I'd like to persue as a career.

7.) Who is your one Idol on Wattpad...?

Probably ToastedBagles or _Leigh. I think they are just bursting with talent. They write with such professionalism that’s hard to find in young writers on wattpad. Adore both of them and their stories.

8.) Any messages for your fans…?

I love you all, and I'm so utterly thanful for your support. Without you guys, I wouldn't be at this place where I'm so passionate about my writing. Whenever you comment, or vote, or send me a message, it means the absolute world. To know that people are responding and enjoying your work is everything I've ever wanted. The support is incredible. I write because it’s what I love. But support, and comments, and seeing people read is like the whipped cream and cherry on top of an already amazing sundae.

9.) Do you plan to make a career as a writer…?

I do it for me, first and foremost. The only reason I write is to satisfy my own need to get words out and get creativity on the page. Putting my stories out there, is a way for me to share my love with people like me. But also, I’m scriptwriting in university, so I guess I kind of do want to make a job out of it. The only thing I want to do for the rest of my life is write in some way, so yeah, I do plan to have a career that has something to do with writing.

10.) What story did you have the most fun writing and why…?

Flow is probably my favorite book I’m writing, just because it’s something that’s closer to my own life, I feel like, than anything I’ve written previously (other than About a Boy, of course, which is the non fiction story of my three year relationship with a guy). I’ve drawn a lot from people I know and people I’ve met, so yeah, it’s been a really awesome process. Also, because I have complete creative control and the story is just so different than your typical teen fiction. It’s been an absolute blast to write.

11.) Which one of your characters from one of your stories do you resemble the most…?

I'd definitely have to say I most resemble Kaylie Hampton, from my story Flow. There are definitely thing in her backstory that stray from mine, but deep down as a person, I think we come from very similar places in our beliefs, as well as just the way we handle things. As far as characters go, she's about as close to me as any fictional character I'll ever write will be. She's kind of that girl who knows what she wants, and is outgoing but at the same time kind of hides herself from people, and I'm kind of like that with a lot of things. On the front of love and falling in love, I honestly used to be her with that cynical outlook, so I think that Kaylie is a version of who I used to be combined with who I am now.