Chapter 23

Six Months Later

Adam sat on the back steps, he watched as Liam and Dani played in the pool. His thoughts had drifted to his father, he had been spending a lot of time with Brian lately. They had gone to the gym together, they worked on Brian's car, and even went to a Blackhawks/Islanders game a few months ago with Sean, Liam, and their grandpa.

James found Adam on the steps, it was uncanny how much he was starting to look like his father as he grew the resemblance had grown stronger, "penny for your thoughts, boy?" He sat beside him.

"Hey Grandpa" Adam said, "can I ask you a question?"

"Of course boy" James replied, the poor kid would never lose the nickname of 'boy'

Adam leaned against the railing, "do you think my dad would be upset that I like Brian?" he asked, "like would he think I'm replacing him or something?"

James put his hand on Adam's shoulder, "Your dad would be happy, you had someone looking out for you and doing all things he wasn't able to do with you" he sighed, "loving Brian doesn't mean you don't love your dad"

James knew the relationship between Kim and Brian had become serious, Brian spent most of his time at the house and Kim was happier than she had been in years. The children all loved him, and it was blatantly obvious he loved them.

"So, it's okay?" Adam questioned "it's nice having a dad again"

"Hey Sean, you got a minute?" Brian asked.

"Yeah, everything okay?" Sean asked, Brian looking nervous.

Brian led them outside, he didn't need an audience for what he was about to ask Sean.

He knew he was moving a bit fast, but he loved her and he knew she loved him. He couldn't stand the thought of being separated for any length of time from any of them.

"Sean, I love your mother with everything I am, you, and your brothers and sister too" he jammed his hands in his back pockets and rocked on his heels, "I was hoping I would have your blessing to ask your mom to marry me, I love her Sean"

"Absolutely" Sean said, "Brian the day you came into my mother's life is the day she started living again" he could feel his eyes moisten, "my brothers and sister love you, you've been a miracle worker with little Adam, and Dani thinks you hung the moon" he smiled "You've even reached Liam and that isn't an easy feat, so yea of course you have it"

Brian hugged him, "just know I know I can't replace your dad, and I will honor his memory"

"I know you will, if you don't I'll kick your ass" he laughed, "you gonna tell Platt or should I?"

"Uh, yeah" Brian laughed "I will take care of that"

"Mommy, is Brian coming over again?" Dani asked as she colored at the table, "he's fun"

"He is?" Kim smiled, "he's working now, but once he's done he will be here" the last six months had been a whirlwind, Brian had worked his way into her heart and the hearts of her children. He was a perfect fit, her mother had told her the other day that she felt Adam had picked him for her and sent him to them. Just the thought of it made Kim smile and it sounded like something Adam would do.

Dani put the crayon down, her face suddenly looking serious "can he be my daddy?"

Kim was caught off guard by the question, "Dani, Brian loves you so much but he isn't your daddy, you know that"

"I know but I miss daddy, and Brian is just like him"

"I miss him too, so much. I will always miss him and you will too, but we are so lucky to have Brian" she told the little girl.

Brian went and picked the engagement ring up, his stomach in knots already. He still needed to speak with Adam and Kim's father, but he was certain he would receive the same response from each one.

When he told Platt he about died from her reaction, he had never seen the woman move so fast when she came flying from behind her desk. He wasn't sure if he should have started running, she surprised him when she pulled him into a bear hug. He was certain he saw her wipe a few tears away, and she kissed his cheek though she did threaten him bodily harm if he hurt Kim.

"Hey Adam, what's up" Brian asked as him, "let's go for a ride" he waited for Adam to go in the firehouse to let Kyle know he was leaving with Brian.

"Hey man, we responded the coolest call today, this guy accidentally shot his friend in the head with a nail gun" Adam's voice excited, "Brian, you could see the nail sticking out of his forehead, it was gnarly"

Brian laughed, "that's gross Adam" he made his way to Kim's "Adam, you know I love your mom, right?"

Adam laughed, "everyone knows that, and by the way can you stop kissing her in the kitchen, people have to eat in that room" Adam had walked in on them the other night.

"Sorry 'bout that kid" Brian laughed remembering how quickly Kim's face turned beet red, "I love you too, and your brothers and sister. Do you think you'd be okay if I asked your mom to marry me?"

Adam turned to face him, "Really?"

Brian nodded, "yea, that'd be cool?"

"Fuck yes!"

"Mouth kid" Brian corrected him, "I promise to take care of you all, and I'm not trying to replace your dad, he's irreplaceable but I would like to be someone you can count on"

"I know. I would like that a lot Brian, I love you" Adam said, it was the first time he said the words out loud.

Brian tried to hold it together, he patted the back of Adam's head, "I love you too kid"