Chapter 9 Hank Voight

My job isn't an easy one, I have to make the tough calls the type of calls no one should have to make. It's not for the faint of heart let me tell you that, but it's a job that needs to be done if we are to have any peace.

Sometimes, actually most of the time the call I make is the right one and we all get to go on with our lives, except for that one time. Shit, 99 out of 100 times it all works out but we don't remember the 99 times, we remember that one time.

Four fucking years and his face still haunts me at night, his wife's sobs on a constant loop in my ear. The image of Sean and Adam saluting their father's casket as its lowered into the ground, Liam almost oblivious to what was going on. Don't even get me started on Dani, that little girl was the apple of her daddy's eye.

I can't blame Kim for throwing me out of the church that morning, looking back I should have listened to Kevin, who knows if it would have made a difference but at least it would have given Adam a fighting chance.

Man, if he could see Sean now he'd be so damn proud. I've grown close to Sean, I never talk about my own father's line of duty death but I owed it to Adam to help his boys. Little Adam wasn't receptive but Sean. Sean was like a sponge, he wanted to know all he could about the CPD and being a police officer, I tried to get him to spend time at 21st but he wouldn't step foot in the building. We ended up at my house, Antonio and Jay always coming over. I know Kim wasn't thrilled that Sean was hanging out at my house but Erin helped convince her that it was what Sean needed.

Now, he's in the same unit his dad was in, it's come full circle. He's a good man that Sean Ruzek, reminds of that saying 'like father like son' in this case it's true.

I failed Adam, but I will not fail Sean.