Chapter 18 Kim Ruzek

I feel terrible I haven't been here in a few weeks, I take the wilted flowers out of the vase and replace them with fresh ones,  "hey baby, I'm sorry it's been awhile since I've come here" I spread the blanket out and sit down, "Jen Roman is back in town, it's nice having her here. She understands, you know"

I run my fingers over his name, still it seems surreal. I'm thankful for the breakthrough Adam had the other night, it's as if a burden has been lifted from his shoulders. Sean won't tell me what they talked about said it was 'brother stuff', I'm just glad I can see the old Adam again.

"So, Jen is trying to set me up with a friend of her boyfriend's, and I don't know Adam my mom thinks I should go, even Sean and Adam think so too", my phone vibrates, letting me know I need go pick Liam up.

"I love you Adam", I take the matchbox car that Adam James used to carry everywhere with him and place it on the tombstone, "It won't be so long before visit again" as I leave a butterfly circles around me, I can't help but smile.

I drop Liam off with my dad and head to Jen's, she's really been pushing me to meet up with Derek's friend, I'm sure he's a nice guy but I'm not ready to start dating again.

I see Derek and another man taking furniture off the truck, and I recognize him as one of the guys from the boxing club Antonio owns, "Hey Kim" Derek calls out, I can see him talking to the other guy.

"Jen, who is that with Derek?" I ask her, "does he work at Antonio's gym?"

"He does, I swear didn't plan this" she tells me, suddenly I'm suspicious.

"Is that the guy you want to set me up with?"

"Yes, but don't hate me, I swear he just showed up. Derek had spoken to him about maybe needing help but never told him to come over"

"Sure, Jen"

"His name is Brian, he's a great guy but he's a cop at the 21st. He's a patrol man" she stacks some books on the shelf, "you know Sean probably knows him"

I smile at her "Adam knows him"

She looks confused, "little Adam, Jen. For a while Adam was working at the gym, before he started hanging around the firehouse with Sean's girl friend's brother and Kelly Severide"

Derek and Brian come in from outside, "Kim, this is a good friend of mine, Brian Davis" Derek introduces us.

Brian extends his hand "Hey Kim, though we kind of know of each other already. How's Adam doing at the firehouse? I miss him around the gym, he was always so helpful and friendly" he smiles.

I can't help but laugh, "You are talking about my son Adam Ruzek, sandy brown hair it's always a mess. He was helpful and friendly?"

"Alright, I'm messing with you, he's a good kid. It was obvious he was dealing with a lot, I liked him. He never gave me any trouble, always did what I asked of him"

Funny enough I find it really easy to talk to him, "he's been through a lot, my husband's death hit him hard"

"I'm sorry" Brian says, his eyes avert mine.

"It's okay, he's doing better now though. The firehouse has been great for him"

He laughs, "what is about the fire department and the kids of police officers, my brother's kid is obsessed with firemen"

"That's Adam too, every since he was about 2, it drove my husband and Trudy Platt crazy"

"Platt, just the mention of her name makes me twitch"'Brian says "your other boy, he's up with Intelligence isn't he?"

"He is, only been a few weeks" I can see Jen and Derek huddled in the corner obviously proud of themselves, this wasn't planned my ass. Though, I can't complain it's nice talking with him.

"I've heard nothing but good things about him, Platt thinks he walks on water" he laughed, "he's a nice kid, you should be proud"

"Trudy has been a big help to my family over the years especially since Adam was killed, my kids love her"

"Listen, would you want to grab dinner or drinks one night?" He has his hands jammed in his pockets, he looks like a middle schooler right now.

I can see Jen out of the corner of my eye, she's mouthing 'say yes' to me, "sure, that sounds nice" I'm shocked to hear myself say yes, it's been over four years since Adam died maybe it's time for me to start living again.

As I'm driving home, I can't believe I agreed to go out with him, I was relived when Jen suggested they come too.

The kids are in their bedrooms when I get home, Adam is still at the firehouse. My parents are working on yet another puzzle at the dining room table, I sit down with them and try and help.

"No, you don't missy. You aren't going to put the last few pieces in and take credit for solving the puzzle" my father jokes, "did you have a nice visit with Jen and Derek?"

I nod my head yes, my eyes start to moisten, "Can I ask you both something?" I can't help but feel like I'm betraying Adam.

"You know you can" my mother tells me, her hand covers mine "what is it?"

"You know Jen has been trying to get me to out with her boyfriend's friend, right?" I swear my mother's eyes start to twinkle, I suspect she may have played a role in the events of this afternoon, "well I met him today, and he's really nice. He asked me out, and I said yes"

"That's fantastic" my father interrupts me.

"I'm not betraying Adam? I feel like I'm turning my back on him, leaving him behind"

"Adam would want you to be happy, the way you lived the last four years is not what Adam would want for you" my dad explains, "you need to let yourself be happy again, and who knows maybe it will be with Brian"

I'm shocked that he knew his name, "James Burgess has anyone ever told you that you have a big mouth!" My mother scolds him, "Kim, we kind of helped Jen today. You wouldn't have agreed to meet him, so we just made sure you didn't know you would be meeting him. Daddy has already checked him out, he's good man. I even think Adam would approve of him, Sean said he's good police too"

"Let me get this straight, you've all been on this including Sean?"

"Adam James too, daddy asked him what he thought of Brian, and Kim he likes him too"

I don't know how to feel about any of this, Adam still takes up most of my heart. Who am I kidding he is my heart, I don't know if I can let someone else in.