Oh you have no idea, I think.  “He is.  I love that he doesn’t pressure me into doing that.  We haven’t even talked about it and I know that he shares the same sentiments about the whole thing.  When the time is right it’ll happen as I always say.” 

Tammy smiles.  “I’m happy for you kiddo.  I’ve watched you get heartbroken too many times and I know that Gabriel won’t do that to you.  I can see that he loves you.”

“Really?”

“Really.”  She said, taking me into her arms and hugging me.  Oh, how I missed these moments with Tams.  I haven’t talked to her like this in what seemed like forever.  I haven’t talked to her like this since Gabriel walked back into my life. 

“Well, I can see that Kyle really cares about you.  I think that he may love you.”  I said.  She has this thoughtful expression on her face that soon turns into a frown.

“I don’t know what we’re going to do when school is out and he leaves for Ohio in the summer.  I’m thinking of just ending it now before things get serious.  I don’t want to wait for heartbreak.”

“Oh, Tams.”  I sigh.  “You should take advantage of the time that you have together with him no matter how little it seems.  Think about the here and now.”  I smile as I remember that it was the same thing that Gabriel had said last night.  “You can’t dwell on the future.  Be with him.  Has he told you he loves you?”

She nods.  “Did you say it back?”  She shakes her head and hides her face in her locker.

“I know it’s horrible.  I’m so stupid!”

“No, you’re not.  Don’t say that.  If you don’t feel that way then you shouldn’t say it but if you do and you don’t want to say it because you’re afraid of getting hurt than that isn’t a good reason.  Make sense?”

She gives a half-hearted laugh.  “Yeah.  It’s funny that I understood that completely.”

I shrug.  “We’re best friends.  You’re supposed to get me.”

She holds up her right palm, facing me and I smile.  It’s a secret gesture that we both came up with freshman year.  I hold up mine without a second thought and press it against hers.    “Sisters until the end.”  She whispers.

“Sisters until the end.” 

*****

The day remains uneventful and I pass the day going through the motions.  Gabriel and I pass notes during the classes that we share, not paying attention to the lecture.  In Literature we get caught by Mr. Folkin and he embarrasses us by making a comment about “love birds”.  Gabriel just laughs and I feel lessun comfortable with him being by my side. 

At lunch, Calder joins us and we eat the cheeseburgers that is served while we have a stimulating conversation about solar energy.  Tammy and Molly grow excited as they like the ideas that Calder brings to the table.  Kyle and Triston argue some of Calder’s ideas because of the budget cuts that Congress has been making.  They admit that his ideas are brilliant but the issue becomes money.  Calder agrees in the point they make and then comes up with ideas where Congress could cut their budget.  That leads into a whole different discussion.

By the end of the day, Gabriel and I make our way to his house to begin Day 2 of my training.  I’m practically jumping out of my seat as we park in his driveway.  I take his keys from his hand after he gets out of the car and rush towards the door to open it.  I run to the bathroom downstairs and change into my work out clothes as I’m bursting with excitement.