Chapter 38-Gabriel

This chapter is dedicated to Bloomelina :) She is awesome and won my small contest :P I asked my friend to pick an entry and she picked yours!! :)) Plus, she gave me an amazing suggestion that you all will find out after Escaping Death is finished but that's a little later :)

Thank you for all of you who participated! :) It was really interesting reading your responses :) Most of you answered that you like Calder the best! :D Poor Gabe...getting no love xP

Now on to the story....

****************************************************************************************************************

Chapter 38-Gabriel

I had almost forgotten how fast Calder was to attack. 

Almost. 

I blocked the punch that was inches away from my face with my forearm.  That didn’t faze him though.  Calder punched me in the gut with his other hand and I was taken aback for a moment.  I looked up and saw the smile behind Calder’s eyes. “You’ve forgotten the first rule.  Never hesitate.”

“How could I forget?”  I said and did a roundabout kick that knocked Calder off his feet.  He fell with a hard thud.  “Second Rule.”  I said.  “Never underestimate.”

I walked back to the middle of the mat and waited for Calder to meet me again.  I was ready and wasn’t going to give him any satisfaction in beating me.  I’ll admit that we were always a deadly match when we sparred.  I could never beat him.  He could never beat me.  We were evenly matched.

I stood in my ground and waited for Calder to make the first move again.  He was like a snake, never analyzing his opponent; just striking.  That’s the element that separated me from Calder.  I took the time to assess my opponent and then I’d strike the deadly blow that would leave the demon in dust.  We were always a team back home.  Whenever there was a situation that the elder Keepers couldn’t handle, the Council would call us in and we’d take care of the problem.    

“Remembering old times, brother?”  Calder said.

“Hey, Cal?” 

“Yeah?”

I punched him in the stomach that sent him flying backwards a few feet away.  “Reading my mind might not be the best approach right now.”  I said.

He got up and laughed.  “Touché.”

The amusement in Calder’s eyes quickly disappeared.  His face turned dark and serious.  He charged towards me and lifted me up to quickly throw me back on the ground.  I groaned.  “Third Rule.”  Calder said.  “Don’t get cocky.”

He offered me his hand and I grabbed it.  “I guess I forgot that one.” 

He patted my shoulder and said, “It’s easy to forget.  I think all of us have a problem with that rule.”

I chuckled.  I looked over to where Kimberly and Gwen were sitting.  Kimberly had a huge smile on her face.  I guess it would be a triumphant smile because Calder had beaten me 2-1.  Gwen on the other hand, had a small smile and her eyes were huge with worry.

“One more round?”  Calder asked beside me. 

“Yeah, one sec though.”

I ran up to Gwen and knelled in front of her.  “Hey, you okay?” 

“Sure.  I mean if ‘okay’ means watching your boyfriend get his ass kicked then I guess I’m okay.”

“Me?  Get my ass kicked?”  I held my hand up to my heart.  “Never.”