Chapter 9-Gwen

Hey Everyone! :) Well, here is the next chapter! Happy Reading!!!!!! :D

********************************************************************************************

Chapter 9-Gwen

I was relieved by being swept away by Gabriel.  It’s like he knew I wanted him to be with me.  Most of all, I knew I wanted to be with him.  I just couldn’t deny my feelings for him anymore.  There was just something about him...something I couldn’t put my finger on that made me giddy inside.  He was familiar even though that was impossible but that’s how I felt.  He was someone that I could completely be myself around and I knew that he wouldn’t judge me.

I did feel a little guilty about leaving mom alone but she insisted that I go.  I don’t know if I gave away my excitement about Gabriel showing up but she insisted that I go out and have fun.  Mom always said that I was an open book to her because she could read me so easily.  Maybe, she knew about Gabriel, I thought.  There was nothing that I could hide from her and I never had any reason to hide things from her.  I would tell mom everything that happened tonight.  That much I was sure of.

We went to a small restaurant called Charlie’s.  Nothing to fancy; it was more like a hangout spot for teens.  I’ve been here several times with the gang.  It was a local hangout spot and one of our favorites.  The restaurant had a 90’s vibe to it.  There was an old fashioned juke box and the waitresses wore figures skates and poodle skirts.  I know that wasn’t part of the 90’s but it was still pretty cool.  I didn’t’ know too many restaurants that were like these now-a-days.

The waitress, Jamie, came up to our booth and asked for our order.  She asked Gabriel’s order first as I saw the way she was trying to flirt with him.  He didn’t pay any particular attention to her and he said, “I’ll have a burger, medium well done, with chili cheese fries.  Not too much chili and a medium coke.”  He said setting down the menu and handing it to her.

I stared at him and quickly looked away.  “Umm...I’ll have the same but no ice in my coke.” My words came out fast and I was glad that Jamie heard my order.  She gave Gabriel one last flirty look and skated away.  I was still a little dejected by Gabriel’s manner of ordering.  It gave away the sense that he had been here before.  He knew exactly what to order without even having a chance to choose what he wanted.  He even knew that they served chili cheese fries! No one who was new in town knew this.  Only locals knew that Charlie’s served chili cheese fries because they were special ordered.

I was very curious to figure out who he was.  I wanted to know everything about him.  I wanted to know his favorite color.  I wanted to know if he could play in an instrument or if he liked to run.  I wanted to know if he had any brothers or sisters.  His life was a mystery and suddenly I needed to know him.  I wanted to solve this puzzle that was before me.  It was a pull that I felt towards him and a voice inside my head telling me to ask him all these things and more.

But I never asked him anything.  Instead I just looked out the window while Gabriel went to the jukebox and picked a song to play.  When our food arrived, that was when Gabriel and I started to engage in a conversation.  At first, it was quiet and uncertain but afterwards we were totally comfortable about what our opinions were.

“So you think that life has a greater purpose?”  I asked, taking a bite of my burger.

“Yes, don’t you?”  He challenged.

“Well, yeah but what that greater purpose is...well that I don’t understand.”

“I guess it has to do with destiny.”  He said taking a drink.  “I think that our lives are planned out for us.  We all have a path that we follow...that will eventually lead to what we are meant to do.”  He looked deep into my eyes.

I was forced to look away.  I had a hard time with eye contact, especially when Gabriel held my gaze.  “Okay?  But what about this purpose?  How are we suppose to know what it is?”  I challenged.  “We can go through life thinking we are doing the right things...”  I looked up and saw that he was listening to me intently.  “But who’s to tell us that we ended our life right?”

He was silent for a while, thinking.  As I waited for his response, I started to play with my French fries, getting chili cheese all over my fingertips.  I ate a little but wasn’t up for it.  Maybe, I should have ordered regular French fries instead of getting exactly the same thing.  My plate was still full of the little things and I offered Gabriel some but he didn’t want any.  He still had his share of it. 

“It’s just the way you look at things, Gwen.”  He paused until I had his attention.  Then he looked at me.  His eyes were so beautiful and rich.  They held something powerful and breathtaking.  Listen to what he has to say...he’s right.  That voice whispered.  It sounded familiar.  “I feel as if I know what I’m supposed to do.”  His jaw tightened as he said this.  He had a determined look in his eyes.  He sighed and ran a hand through his hair.  “As for you...well that’s up to you to figure out.”

I looked at him curiously and saw that he was thinking about something.  I thought about what he said and about what the voice in my head had said, then something clicked.  “So what’s your purpose for life?”  I asked absentmindedly.

He was reaching to get a drink but suddenly stopped.  “I’d rather not say.”  He whispered.

Something had changed in him because now he seemed paralyzed.  I didn’t understand what had come over him and yet I said, “Why?” afterwards.  As soon as that word left my lips, I regretted it.  His demeanor changed and he wasn’t logical and carefree like had been a couple of minutes ago.  He didn’t want to answer my question and I certainly didn’t have the right to ask.  Who was I to ask something like that from him?  Something that he obviously and passionately believed in, something from his heart.  Something that made him seem to have a negative effect on him.  Like he was forging a battle and was trying to win.

“I’m sorry.  I shouldn’t have asked that.  Umm...so are you finished?”  I said quickly changing the subject.  I took the trash and began piling it on my tray. 

The expression on his face was classic.  It was a mixed expression of confusion, relief and acknowledgment.  “Yeah, should I get you back home?”  He asked looking at his watch.

“What time is it?”

“It’s 10:30.”  He replied.  “The time passed by rather quickly.”

I smiled.  “Well yeah.  We certainly accomplished something tonight.”

“Yes, I guess so but we aren’t finished yet.”  He smiled and we headed out of the restaurant. 

************************************************************

Well, there you go :) I honestly didn't know what the conversation between Gabriel and Gwen should have been.  I hope that it didn't bore you guys.  Any suggestions on what they should talk about? I'm thinking of rewriting this :) Hope to here from you soon!!

Remember to....

Comment (this means you have something to say :)

Vote (yay, you thought it was a good chapter!!!)

Fan-------------------------------------------> :D (You love my work) Hehe :D

<addy :)