Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

 “Myki!” My twin sister yells, running towards me. I laugh, pulling her into a tight hug.

“Myki, mum’s taking me on a big holiday and dad will stay here with you. Is that okay??” My smile drops.

“Aww, but that’s not very fair! I want to go!” I cry, pushing her away.

“Mykala…I don’t want you to go though. I want you to be here with dad, because he doesn’t look well.” Yuna says, her bright blue eyes connecting with my deep green eyes.

“It’s alright, Yuna. I’ll stay with dad and little Ellye.” I smile at her, taking my twin sister’s hand. I lead her inside, smiling as I walk.

“I’ll still be here when you come back, Yuna!” I call, waving frantically.

“Bye Myki!”

“Bye Yuna!”

The car pulls up outside. I bolt to the door, bouncing up and down, needing to see my twin sister.

“Yuna!” I yell, eyes wide. One door opens. My mother comes out, her head down.

“Yuna?” My eyes begin to water. I open the door, slowly walking out. My mother runs towards me, hugging me tightly.

“She refused to come back. Something about finding her true self or something.” My mother whispers in my ear, comforting me.

“She would never do anything like that to me.” I cry, pushing my mother away. I run back inside, my eyes watering rapidly. I run past my ailing father, who calls out to me. I run past my baby sister, Ellye, who is sleeping soundly. I run into my bedroom, slamming the door behind me. I quickly climb up my bunk bed, staring at the roof.

“She wouldn’t ever do that. Mum left her out there, I’m sure of it.” I cry, putting my pillow over my eyes. I cry and cry, devastated. Would Yuna survive?

“Myki…are you okay?” My father’s voice floats in from behind the door.

“No.” I reply, lifting the pillow off. The door creaks open, and my father comes in, lightly shutting the door behind him.

“Climb down, please my daughter.” I comply, climbing down. He takes my hand and pulls me into a hug, allowing me to cry freely.

“She won’t die out there, Mykala. She’s like you.”

“How is she like me?” I ask through my tears.

“She’s strong. She can fight through whatever comes to her.”

The pain in my head subsides, and the girl…Yuna stares at me intently.

“I don’t know how, but I remember you…Yuna.” I whisper, smiling lightly. Yuna gasps, before letting out a small cry.

“Myki!” She hugs me tightly, letting the tears come out. I sigh, before hugging her back.

“Why did Mum leave me behind?” Yuna asks, pulling away and taking my hands.

“I don’t know why, she told me that you wanted to stay…she lied, didn’t she?” Yuna nods, before launching into her side of the story.

“I was walking around, with Mum walking behind me. I walked towards a big tree, and climbed it, the forest girl I am. I reached the top, lightly sitting on the branches, trying to keep myself steady. Mum yelled up to me that if I don’t come down in four minutes, she’s leaving without me. I hastily climbed down, but when I got to the bottom, she wasn’t there. I ran back to the campsite, to see the car gone, but everything else still there. So I used all the leftover food and that lasted about two months. But she took my clothes away with her, only leaving two pairs, hers and mine. So, I had to live by myself for a very long time, which sucked.” Yuna finishes, her eyes watering. I pull my sister into a hug, comforting her.