Chapter 42 - Family First

Start from the beginning

"So, you eat, shit and piss dollar bills. How cute." She interrupted, unimpressed. "It's really quite adorable, actually."

"What the hell is everyone's goddamn problem?" I muttered angrily, glaring at her.

"Problem is, you need to grow a pair and get it through your thick, egotistic skull that Scarlett may very well choose to reject your proposal," she explained, closing her eyes slowly. "And if that's the case then you'll have to swallow your damned pride and get over it. But the question is, do you honestly think she is going to say no? Because I could tell you, having met her for less than a month, that there is no way that'll happen."

We sat there in a comfortable silence as I pondered over what she'd just said.

Was I just being cowardly and fearful of Scarlett's answer?

Or had I become too comfortable with the way things were with us that I didn't want a marriage proposal to interfere with our relationship?

"Think about it, Jasper," my aunt spoke as she stood up. "The pair of you are perfect together."

"Thanks," I smiled up at her as she left the room.

As I was wrapped up within my own thoughts I almost didn't notice Emily walk inside.

"Why are you still here? I thought you'd left with Mom and Dad last week?" I asked raising an eyebrow as she shrugged taking a seat opposite me.

"Charming as ever, I see," she commented dryly as I rolled my eyes. "So, you're going to propose to her, are you?"

"Her name is Scarlett," I snapped, slamming my glass onto the coffee table in front of me. "And the rest is none of your goddamn business."

"She made it my business when she turned my brother against me."

"What the fu-"

"I was fooled by her too, at first," she carried on as I narrowed my eyes at her. "Sweet, charming, good with kids and all that bullshit. But, little brother, they all start like that. She is nothing but a gold digging whòre who is going to empty your pockets out and leave you to bleed out dry -"

"I suggest you shut your mouth as of this moment, Emily," I interrupted, adamant to keep my anger inside. "I don't know who you think you are flinging such a bullshit accusation towards me but I am telling you now, I will not hesitate to cut you out of my life if you mention Scarlett's name like that ever again."

"Of course you would jump to her defense even though she fücked Vincent, yet I don't deserve to be forgiven?"

"Get out of my sight, Emily," I spat through gritted teeth. "I'm done with you."

"Oh, look, your little bïtch is back," she carried on as I turned towards the door where Scarlett stood, her expression confused. "Let's ask her what makes her so special that she deserves so much love and adoration from my family."

"Jasper, what's going on?" Scarlett frowned as she walked in.

"You're a piss poor, washed up secretary with fücked up daddy issues, a mother who couldn't wait to have you gasping for your last breath and not one single person you can call family, so tell me, what the fuck makes you so special that you swan around like you're God's gift?" Emily barked as I stood up.

"Emily, you -"

"I wouldn't necessarily brand myself as being piss poor, to be completely fair to myself," Scarlett interrupted me as she spoke casually. "I've actually been working since I was thirteen, even if they were just paper rounds, but, you know due to my daddy issues and all I wasn't actually handed money on a silver platter; every cent I own is all a result of the blood, sweat and tears gone into ten year's of hard work. But do you want to know what I think, Mrs Jacobs? I think you're an insecure and bitter woman who doesn't have it in her to be happy for her brother; I don't think you can accept that he's changed and that he's changed for the better. I really think you need to grow up a little, get over yourself and stay out of my relationship, Mrs J."

"How dare you?" Emily breathed in disbelief a few seconds later.

"Emily - leave!" I snapped angrily.

"Oh, are you still here?" Scarlett questioned seriously as I watched my girlfriend in amusement, my anger subsiding slightly. "Why don't you wait outside? I'll call you a cab."

We watched as Emily grabbed her bag, standing up before she turned to me.

"She'll never marry you," she whispered in my ear. "I'll make sure of it."

Glaring at both of us, she walked out as Scarlett slammed the door shut behind her.

"Wow, she's a bitch and a half," she commented as I made my way towards her.

"I'm so sorry, Scarlett," I apologized. "I have no idea what's gotten into her lately."

"Menopause? Mid life crisis? Both?" She suggested as I laughed. "She deserved getting her ass kicked."

"She deserved more than that for every word she said," I muttered, picking her up as her legs wrapped around my waist.

"What did she say to you before she left?"

"Nothing I couldn't handle," I replied, kissing her forehead as I carried her to the guestroom.

"Stop looking at me," she complained as I grinned.

"Why can't I bask in the badass-ness of my girlfriend?"

"Badass-ness? Are you sure you're twenty six?" She laughed before sobering up, a triumphant glint in her eyes. "I was pretty damn badass, wasn't I?"

"That is undisputable," I told her as she kissed me softly. "Scarlett?"

"Mm?"

"You are my family and I am your family," I told her as she looked at me. "Don't ever forget that."

"I know, Jasper, I won't," she smiled, intertwining my fingers with hers as we lay together, enjoying the blissful silence between us.

______________________

A/N:

Hey Guys!

Sorry for the late update, I was completely off track this week, I've been revising for my theory test which is in a couple of weeks and I'm stressed out to say the least!

Anyway, I hope whoever was celebrating Eid this weekend had a good one, let me know what you got up to!

How did you guys like this chapter? I thought she was pretty kick ass! I also quite like his aunt! Do let me know what you thought!

You know, I've noticed I use so many exclamation marks in my A/N's but I can't help it, I get so excited LOL.

Anyhoo, the next update should definitely be 28.07.2015.

Love as always,

Ana