Mary's POV

Mary's POV

"The girl you are looking for has fled the scene. Please leave a note." A happy robotic voice said.

I smiled to myself. That happy little Norah I once knew was back.

---------------------------------------------

Well, she was back for 8 hours. She needed one more big cry.

"We'll be going to the cemetery this weekend to visit Sybil and Matthew. We can visit your parents, if you'd like." I said softly.

I watched as her face dropped and she swallowed hard. Her eyes fell to look at the ground.

"I guess so." She said quietly, fidgeting with her serviette.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"I said it's fine, okay?" She said agitated, her voice rising, "They were gone 50 years before their time! Just leave me alone!"

She threw her fork down and fled from the table, crying.

I buried my head into my hands.

"Why can't I do anything right?" I asked painfully, "I just gained her trust and I've lost it again."

"Go talk to her darling." Mama said sympathetically.

I didn't look up.

"Mary, go talk to her. I can come too." Mama said again.

"Alright." I sighed.

We excused ourselves and climbed the stairs. We found her curled into a ball on her bed crying. I climbed onto the bed and laid beside her. My fingers gently stroked her soft brown hair.

"There there," I whispered, " You let it all out."

Her cheeks were tear stained and scarlet coloured, eyes red and puffy, and she was shaking.

"I-want-m-my-parents!" She sobbed.

"Take a deep breath Norah." I instructed.

She faintly obeyed me, but her sobs turned into light crying. She brushed the hair out of her eyes.

"That's much better, now isn't it?" I said.

She nodded.

"Now, you go and pull out your pyjamas. Grandmama will draw a bath for you, and you can have a hot bath. Then climb into bed and have a good sleep, you need one."

She dragged herself into the bath, washed up, and got dressed. She climbed into her bed and cuddled her blankie. It was her sense of comfort.

Mama bid her goodnight and left the room, closing the door behind her.

Even though it was un ladylike, I climbed in beside her and held her tightly. She leaned on my shoulder and sat quietly for a few moments.

"Can you sing?" She said, barley audible.

I was taken aback for a moment, but nodded. I sang her the song mama used to sing to me in the nursery.

"Stay awake,
Don't rest your head.

Don't lay down
upon your bed.

While the moon
Drifts in the sky,

Stay awake,
Don't close your eyes."

Norah's eyes became heavy and slowly began to close.

"Though the world
Is fast asleep,

Though your pillow
Soft and deep.

Your not sleepy
As you seem,

Stay awake,
Don't nod and dream,

Stay awake,
Don't nod and dream."

Her body slumped against mine as she fell into a deep slumber. I smiled and pulled her into a closer embrace.

I wasn't going to let myself ruin this again.

XxXxXxXxXxXx

That song was from Mary Poppins, my favourite Disney movie. It has a special meaning to me, and I really wanted to incorporate it! Xx Emma xX