Norah's POV

Norah's POV:

Papa had knocked the wind right out of me, so there I laid, gasping for air. I arm felt sore, and my stockings had ripped holes by my knee, which was now bleeding quite terribly.

The sky was pretty. I had never noticed it before. The deep, dark, smooth blackness swallowed everything up. But two little stars twinkled in the distance. They shone brighter than anything. They looked almost playful, dancing around each other. Then they faded away.

"Papa, did you see that?" I asked the silence.

There was no answer.

"Mummy, those stars..." My voice faded away.

There they both were, lying on the ground. Their faces were as white as the snow that had begun to fall, their lips as blue as my mittens. But their hands interlocked, and from where I say, they looked like they were taking a long winters nap. Except it was a nap that had a truck atop their chests, mashing their lungs.

I removed my coat, shivered as the air nipped at me, and places it over them. Now it really looked like they were napping.

I kissed their foreheads, ignoring the painful cries coming from the driver, the sharp pain coming from my heavily bleeding leg, and glistening tears sliding down my cheeks.

"Those stars," I whispered to mummy, stroking her soft blonde hair, "The were you, weren't they?"