Eighteen. Her Sanity and His Uncertainties

Start from the beginning

"Why have you been avoiding us?" Kenzie demanded. "Are you trying to hide something from us?"

"I literally haven't talked to you guys in like fourteen hours," I rolled my eyes. "That hardly counts as 'avoidance'."

"Oh, but it does," she folded her hands together. "Why were you throwing up in the bathroom yesterday?"

I glared at Majesty. "I take it you told the Pope as well?"

"Demi, we're just a little bit worried," Majesty began, but I quickly cut her off.

"Worried about what!?" I cried. "Are you people aware that sometimes people just throw up as a means to get rid of something their body can't handle? Sometimes you can't control it. It just happens!"

"And did it just happen?" Kenzie questioned. "Or did you make it happen?"

"What exactly are you trying to imply I did, MacKenzie?" I asked.

"You guys," Majesty tried, but was cut off by Kenzie.

"I'm trying to imply you stuck your finger down your throat," she said bluntly.

I stood up instantly and grabbed my bag. "Don't overwhelm me with the trust, K," I snorted. "I might drown in it."

"D, we just-"

I turned away from Majesty and Kenzie and walked out of the cafeteria.

My heart raced in the confinements of my chest as I made my way down the empty hallways and to one of the exits towards the back of the school.

Pushing open the door, I slipped out and held the door as it shut so it wouldn't close with a loud bang. I slowly began to walk down the black pavement, taking deep breathes as a way to calm myself down a little bit.

I knew my friends meant well. Deep down I really did.

I knew Majesty was just worried for me, and I knew Kenzie was simply scared I had "derailed", but that knowledge didn't do anything to soothe my nerves or make me any less angry.

It was incredibly irritating how they thought (well, how Kenzie thought) they could just yell at me like a child for doing something they didn't like. It was absolutely ridiculous for them to assume they could tell me what to do, not to mention very demeaning and condescending.

I just hoped they wouldn't go running to tell Deacon, or worse my parents, about the bathroom "incident". The last thing I needed was everyone breathing down my neck for something that really was incredibly minor.

If it's so minor why are you so set on hiding it from everyone? My subconscious obnoxiously whispered in the back of my head

"Shut up," I snapped, annoyed with myself for bringing up a very good, but completely unnecessary point.

I let out a heavy sigh and rounded the corner of the building that took me to the front of the school. I paused and looked around wondering where it was I was even going.

My eyes zeroed in on the bike rack ten feet away from me and saw a hooded figure leaning against it, holding a cigarette to his lips.