In Which: Mai Is Ten Feet Under

Day Four

11:30am

The Miyuki Theater

Mai lead the way down the hall, her pace brisk, reflecting her irritation at being sentenced to a day with Masako. The medium followed a few steps behind, her lips pursed in silence. For a while all that could be heard was their footfalls and occasional huffs and grumbles.

"Here," Masako said, coming to a halt at a door Mai had already hurried past.

Mai looked back at her with an eyebrow raised,

"We don't need to take the temperature of every room Masako, let's move on to the foyer..." she answered, gesturing down the hall.

The medium gave her one look, then turned to the door, opened it-- and walked in. Mai watched with gritted teeth.

That Masako.

Mai approached the door and peered in. In the middle of the dark room, Masako stood motionless, her eyes closed. With an irritated sigh Mai held out the thermometer and scratched the temperature down. Looking back up, Mai saw the medium was straightening herself up, she glanced back at Mai self- satisfied.

"Nothing..." she said as she passed Mai out into the hall.

Mai glared after her and opened her mouth to retort, but suddenly snapped her head around. A shadow-- a figure standing at the edge of her vision. Mai stared hard around the room, but she could see nothing now. Curiously, Mai held out the thermometer: 58.7. Mai quickly consulted the chart, but she already knew the answer, the room had dropped five degrees.

With a slight frown, Mai's eyes swept the room once more, but it remained empty and dark.

Was that the old man...?

Mai shook her head and moved on. Masako, who hadn't bothered to look back once, was nearly to the foyer when Mai started after her.

That Masako. Someone was standing right there in that room and she didn't sense it at all. Figures.

When Mai finally caught up, Masako had already been there for few minutes, closing her eyes, trying to sense something Mai knew she could not. Mai watched the medium float from place to place in the large foyer critically. With a roll of her eyes she decided to collect some reliable information. Mai held out her thermometer as Masako moved near the doors.

"Mai."

Startled, Mai whirled around to see Bou-san stepping out of the room Mr. Sachi had been in earlier. Relieved that it was only the monk, she offered him a smile which he returned as he shut the door softly behind him.

"Hey," he greeted coming to stand beside her.

"Hey," she replied, jotting down the room's temperature, "what were you doing?"

The monk's smile turned into a smirk, he shrugged nonchalantly,

"Just following Naru's orders."

Mai glanced up at him, smirking as well.

"I see, and...?"

The monk rubbed his chin, considering the door,

"I think it's just a storage area, I could hear the generators outside."

"So your exorcisms were a success?" Mai teased.

"I'd say so, not a cursed rose petal left," Bou-san answered with a wink.

"What about those lilies though? Mr. Sachi seemed to think they were evil," Mai persisted, looking a bit more serious.