Alli - 06

He was gone.

As was Savannah.

I couldn't say I was surprised, I half expected it to all be a dream. Maybe Luke never showed up. But that couldn't be it because the baby was gone too. There was also a blanket covering me when I distinctly remember falling asleep half naked... until I was pulled into a warm body... Luke's body.

The feeling of his arm pulling me into him, the heat of his body bringing the warmth back into mine was fresh in my mind. I had never felt so at home- so safe. And that terrified me.

I shouldn't feel safe with him, not when he's the one made my life a living hell. I shouldn't have felt warm in his arms- hell I shouldn't even have been in his arms. Whatever the hell had been going through my head at the moment he laid a hand on me was long gone. It didn't matter how safe it felt with him at that moment, he left.

He left.

I got a glimpse of the Luke I used to know, but he went running just the same. Maybe it was my fault, maybe I had done something to push him away. Both times he left voluntarily, I didn't do anything to make him leave- it was his choice. I wasn't good enough for him anymore.

So as I sat up in my bed, staring down at the still sunk-in spot on my mattress where he had been, silent tears streaming from my eyes, I felt myself breaking all over from my long lost best friend. He had resurfaced, if only for a moment, only to run again.

He hadn't meant to come over last night, I had thrown him off guard when he walked in on me, blood rushing out of my leg. His guard was off and he allowed himself to worry, and I'm positive that's how he ended up in my room. He had got lost in his head and subconsciously drove here. He had allowed himself to be the him he was before he met Ashton, just like I had allowed myself to believe he was. But he wasn't, and it felt like I had lost him all over again.

"Sweetie, are you okay?" I looked to the door to find my mother, a worried look on her face as she took in the tears falling down mine.

"M'fine." I mumbled, wiping under my eyes.

"Are you feeling okay?" She asked, taking a seat on the edge of my bed, her hand moving to rest across my forehead.

"Yea- actually no not really. My head is killing me."

"What about that wrist?"

"What?" She gestured to my hand, which I had brought up to rub my temple, as though my head actually did hurt.

It didn't, I just couldn't see him. Not today.

"Do you need me to take you to the doctor? It's pretty swollen."

"No, it's fine. It doesn't even hurt."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, it's just my head."

"Do you wanna try to go to school?"

I paused momentarily for effect, doing my best to convince her I was actually sick, even though I was perfectly fine. Actually, my wrist was pulsing and sending a shooting pain up to my elbow any time I moved it, and my heart felt like it was being stabbed a million times all over again, but that's not important.

"Can I just stay home today? I didn't sleep very well last night." That was a lie, I actually slept like a baby, because he held me like I was one.

"Sure, just call me if you need anything."

"Can you get me some ibuprofen before you leave?"

"Yeah, I'll be right back." I nodded as she walked out of my room, her heels clicking all the way down the hallway before she came back and handed me two white pills and a glass of water. "I'm heading to work, get some sleep." She kissed my forehead before leaving my room, shutting my door on her way out.