s i x - spiders and itches

chapter six

" if Mother Nature didn't like curves, she would've made the earth flat."

Can I just give a shoutout to a person who has been reading my older version, loved it and still supported me through my changes. And still commented on the newer version. I'm grateful I still have a few of my older readers here. If you are one of my old version readers and you're still here, let me know in the comments! You guys will always have an extra special place in my heart.

jessequinn11  I'm internally grateful to you.

After being reassured that Tippy was perfectly fine, she only had a fractured leg, and that Dr. Sanders would release her in the wild as soon as her leg was healed, Jase and I decided it was time to leave. I walked to the passenger door, waiting patiently for Jase to open. Well... Jason. Butterflies fluttered in my stomach from his earlier confession, I had to admit, it made me feel special hearing him say that.

"Nora." I looked up from the gravel I was staring at in thought. "Check this out." His voice held excitement, the kind of little-boy-on-Christmas-morning excitement. I rounded the car and met him halfway, he pointed to a wooden post beside a path. 'Sal's Spider Farm.'

"No." I told him, taking step back. "No," I said more firmly, grabbing his arm and pulling him back towards the car, but he remained frozen, a mischievous smile painted on his features. "Why do I have this feeling that you're going to make me go in there?" I groaned. I hated spiders.

Hated, them.

When I was eleven, my parents took Sarah and I on the great family camping adventure. Except that we stayed in a small chalet instead of tents, and had running water and electricity. So it wasn't really adventurous camping at all. Sarah insisted on the bottom bunk, and pushover eleven year old me couldn't do anything yet agree, sullenly.

Skip to bedtime, I was wide awake, listening to the crickets loudly play outside. And then suddenly it was silent enough for me to hear something fall on my sleeping bag. It was a nest. Not a cute little bird nest. A spider nest, with hundreds of little baby spiders, eager for food. Which was me. I didn't get bit, but it was the scariest thing that had ever happened to me. And I've hated spiders ever since.

"Because I'm going to make you go in there." He told me with a grin, tugging me by my hand, he lead me to the entrance of hell. At least the scenery wasn't all bad. It was very green here, and dense with plants and flowers. I bet it smelled amazing in spring time. "Good day, folks!" A man with rusty colored hair and wrinkles walked up from our side, a container clasped in his hands. I eyed the box warily, realizing they were just crickets. At least I'm not the lunch.

"Morning. We were just wondering if you give tours?" Jason asked the man. I glared at him. We weren't wondering anything. He wondered and drag me along.

"Sure," the man exclaimed happily, showing us the entrance to his building. "I'm Sal, and this is Wendy." I only noticed the spider on his shoulder when he pointed towards her. A shiver crawled down my spine, and I squeezed Jason's hand. We were holding hands. It was as if my body only registered that now for the first time. "There is an entry fee," Sal told Jason. I took this opportunity. "Nobody pays to see spiders." I hissed at Jason, who disregarded me with an amused smile, digging into his pocket to pull out his wallet. He handed Sal a few dollar bills. "Larry!" Sal shouted unexpectedly.