Chapter Two

Damn, why do I have to have always get altitude sickness. I thought as I looked up at my ceiling. I want to go to the mountains with Seb and his family and Jake. I feel like I never see Jake since he moved back. When I do run into him, he is always short and concise with me. He looks like he wants to get away. That's why I wanted to go on this trip with them. He can't avoid me in such a small space. I remember the cabin from the one time I went. It was cozy and romantic, looking back on it now. All four of us kids shared one room with two bunk beds. Our parents each had a room too. Sadly, I spent the whole time being sick. It wasn't very pretty or cute. I was ten at the time, but nothing has changed. Take me at high elevations and I'll puke all over you.

       So sadly, I'm back at my house this winter break, while Seb is living it up on the slopes. Again, my thoughts drifted back to Jake. I shouldn't be thinking about him. He was off limits for more reasons than one. He was way older than me. He was Seb's brother. He was a teacher at my school. Well, he wasn't my teacher. But the issue still stood. And it's not like he even noticed me. Even when I tried my hardest to impress him. Sometimes I would come over in tight, short dresses, just to try and get a reaction out of him. Once he had even turned away and said, "As an older brother figure speaking, I think you should put a jacket or something on." My embarrassment still stung from that one.

     My thoughts got interrupted when I heard a crash from downstairs. It sounded like a dish broke. The hum of voice from before got louder. I rushed downstairs to see what happened, in case my mom was hurt. When I got there, Mom was crouched down picking up pieces of glass. My step dad, Jim, was yelling. Every other word seemed to be a cuss. Suddenly, his foot collided with her stomach. I gasped out loud. Jim craned his neck to look at me. Fear shook my body. He took a step toward me and I was out.

      I ran out of the house and into my car. I felt guilty leaving my mom, but she has told me before that that she would tolerate Jim hitting her, but not me. I started up my car and drive. I didn't know where I was going until I got there. I had parked myself in front of Seb's house. No one was home, but it was where I felt the safest. I knew where they kept the spare key. I doubt they would mind if I crashed here for a few days. I'll just text them. I reached to my back pocket for my phone. It wasn't there. It was...on my dresser, back home. Well, I wasn't going back for it. I could live without a phone. I get out of my car. I'm still shaking. I pick the key out of the planter to the left of the door. It takes me a few tries, but I unlock the door. I close it behind me and crumple to the floor. I finally let out my pent up emotions as tears spill hot down my face.

     "Kaylie, what are you doing here?" A tentative voice asks. I look up at its owner. No one should be home, but Jake is standing over me. As his eyes fall on my face, he changes. He kneels down, "God, what's wrong? Are you hurt? Tell me, what's wrong?" He grabs my arms and pulls me up a little.

     I open my mouth in an effort to explain, but only a sob leaves my mouth. My eyes fill with fresh tears. Jake pulls me into his arms and into a hug. He sits on the floor with me, holding me. Being in his arms felt warm, comforting, right. I just couldn't bring myself to tell him yet. He wrapped his arms under me and lifted. I was off the ground and in the air, or well in his arms to be more specific. He carried me to the family room and set me down on the couch. He sat down next to me. My crying had slowed.

     "What's wrong?" He asked very softly this time. Our legs were touching. It was currently our only contact left. We went from touching all over to just barely; it was sad. I was too catch unpin my tears to enjoy being in his arms earlier.

     "I heard a crash at my house, so I went down stairs. He was yelling so much. And then he-he kicked-" My crying cut off my story. I felt so guilty that I wasn't there to protect my mom.