Chapter 15 - And your enemies closer (Ash)

"And.. BEGIN!" Mr. Penny blew his whistle and we ran to the middle. Every dodgeball came to our side, and I looked across at Calem for a second. I launched the dodgeball at his feet, but he moved out of the way. Clemont caught someone out and threw a ball back at us. Leaping into the air, I caught it and he was out. It wasn't long before it became a 4 on 4 battle of constant dodging and blocking. Me, Iris, Cilan and Gary kept on barraging Serena, Drew, Calem and Dawn with dodgeballs and eventually Dawn was hit, but a return throw from Drew got Gary out.

"Aww man!" He shouted, dropping his dodgeball and sitting down. Meanwhile, Iris jumped up and threw a ball at calem. He wrapped one arm around it and brought it into his chest, catching it. I looked at Cilan and he understood me completely. We had to win. I faked a throw which made everyone move, but Cilan came round the side and hit Drew with his ball. As we stepped back to defend, I gave him a high five. Calem launched a ball at the back wall and it bounced into Cilan. He was still out as it didn't touch the ground. I began to sweat nervously. I had to win. I looked across at Serena and Calem. They both looked determined to win, except Serena didn't know what I was playing for. Calem acted as bait and made a terrible throw to my side. I dived left and caught it when Serena threw her ball at me. It was going to hit my legs so I brought them into my chest and sat in a ball. I span up to my feet and everything went silent for a moment. I couldn't lose against my girlfriend. I didn't want to beat her though, I wasn't planning on hitting her with a dodgeball in this tournament, but it looks like I had to. It was a long two minutes of constant throwing back and forth before there was finally a winner. Serena made a throw at my head and I ducked, before falling forward and releasing my ball. My ball bounced into her shoulder but at the same time I felt something hit my foot. Her ball had bounced on the wall and hit me.

"That's it! SERENA'S TEAM WINS" everyone on their team began to cheer. I sat on the court, almost bursting out into tears. No one would understand why, so I held them in and faked a smile. Calem helped me to my feet and whispered in my ear.

"Enjoy the single life, Ash Ketchum" he looked at me and grinned. I wanted to just punch him over and over, but not in school. I couldn't. Cilan came up to me and put a hand on my shoulder.

"I have a plan Ash, lets just say it will be part of your plan to break up with Serena" I looked up at Cilan and smiled. He told me his plan and we discussed it in further detail that night.

At home, I sent a message to Serena and she came over to my house. We sat in my room and I got ready to tell her.

"Listen, Serena. There is a few things I want to tell you" I nervously scratched my head.

She looked me in the eyes, a bit worried about my nervousness.

"I think we need to take a short break, just while I settle a few things" her eyes instantly became watered up with tears.

"Hey, don't cry" I stroked her hair and brought her in closer.

"It's for the best, you'll understand in a few weeks" I tried to encourage myself that this could work, but I wasn't sure. Serena could just end up hating me now, and Calem could get closer.

Once Serena had left, in a river full of tears, I let out an angry sigh, my breathing becoming erratic. I needed to get Calem as soon as possible.

(Serena)

Why did he want to break up with me? I cried all night, there were so many unanswered questions. I felt hatred for Ash, but he said I will understand in a few weeks? Why a few weeks? Why not now? I took the necklace he gave me off and led in bed for the rest of the night.

(Ash)

School on wednesday started with the biggest slap I have received in my life. A big red handprint formed across my face as Dawn continued to shout.

"Your a worthless, pathetic excuse of a man!" She looked like she was going to slap me again, but she turned on her heel and walked off.

"Ash, why don't you get lost?" Calem said this, with a blank expression on his face. He was betting that everyone would despise me and he was right. I walked off, almost as upset as Serena. In math and science I moved to empty tables and sat by myself, working in silence. When lunch came around, Cilan came to see me.

"Hey, Ash how you feeling?" He asked, sitting on the bench next to me.

"I am feeling like our plan needs to be put into action" I clenched my fist and crushed the flower I was holding. Cilan nodded and we headed to the principals office.

After knocking on the door, we stepped inside and sat down.

"What can I do for you gentleman?" The principal asked.

"I know this happened two months ago, but read this text message" I slid my phone over to the principal and he read it, raising an eyebrow.

After explaining our ideas, the principal agreed with me.

"Jack and his friends always cause trouble and Calem set you up it seems" He stood up and looked out the window.

"We will take action immediately by speaking with Calem and suspending Jack and his friends for 2 weeks" this was part of plan, so I asked for a favour.

"I don't want to press charges either, they will learn their lesson in time" I smiled and the principal nodded.

"As you wish, Mr. Ketchum, you can go now" With that, me and Cilan left.

"Step two will start this weekend, make sure everything is ready" I said to Cilan and he nodded. He went to get lunch with the gang and I went into the cafeteria, sitting in the corner on my own. I waited until a member of senior staff took Calem with them and sent him a message.

"Bring your friends to the park on saturday, I'll be there. After all, I did just snitch on you all'

I set my phone on the table and looked at Cilan. I nodded and he grinned. Dawn saw him looking my way and said something, making him turn away nervously. She had a death stare planted on me. Although I stares back with no expression, I was smiling on the inside. It was almost time for revenge and it wouldn't be long until everyone understood what was going on.