Ch.5: Aphrodite Messes Up my Life

Percy and I walk to our cabin in complete silence. Neither of us say a word to each other. Even as he helps me pack for the quest, we only say a word here and there. Once my backpack is supplied, we stand quietly just staring at the backpack.

"You're leaving me already?" Percy mumbles, finally breaking the silence.

"It's not my fault, water boy." I hug him.

He hugs me back and sighs into my shirt. We stay like that for a few minutes until I pull back. I smile sadly when I see he has tears in his eyes. I wipe away the tear that escapes his eye, then hold his cheeks in my hands.

"I'll be okay, Percy." I whisper.

"Don't die on me, please." He mumbles, looking at the ground.

"I'll try. That's all I can tell you, Percy..." I ruffle his hair.

"You're an awesome sister, sea foam." He smiles.

"Oh so you wanna call me sea foam since I call you water boy?" I snicker.

He laughs then smirks and nods. I smile at my brother. I'll miss this boy.

As soon as we say our goodbyes I walk to the camp entrance. Theo and Jack are standing there already. They are deep in conversation about Zeus knows what, but once they see me, they shut their mouths. I shoulder my backpack, halting in my step when I reach them.

"So what's going on?" I ask.

"Just trying to strategize how we're getting to the Rhone." Theo says, with crossed arms.

"Um... Where is the Rhone and what is it?" I ask.

"The Rhone is a river is France. I don't get why he would be held there, but that's what the prophecy said." Jack explains.

"Oh..." I sigh.

Chiron gallops up to us. The three of us look at him with grim faces.

"Ambrosia, did Jack tell you about the place you are traveling to?" he asks.

"France, right?"

He nods with a straight face.

"France is near the ancient lands. You must be careful. No demigod has survived over there. None of you may make it back alive."

"Wow... Way to make me feel better..." I mumble, sarcastically.

"I'n just warning you, Miss Minerva. Just be careful." He says before walking away with a frown.

My first ever quest and it's extremely dangerous to the point that no one has ever returned. Sighing, I turn to the boys.

"Wait!" A girl shouts from the distance.

I turn around in time to see the Kharis girl just before she tackles me. The pressure from my back hitting the ground makes me groan in pain, but I further all about it when I see Kharis smiling brightly.

"Sorry!" she giggles, helping me up without ease.

"It's okay." I laugh.

How could I not forgive her?

"I wanted to give you a gift. I made it myself. One of the perks of being a child of the god of blacksmiths, you know?" she hands me a small golden box.

"Should I open it now?"

She nods then squeals excitedly. My head turns to the boys and they shrug, not knowing what it is either. Slowly, I open it. I take out the item to see it's a bracelet. It's a simple gold chain but what catches my attention is the charm in the middle. It isn't one of those hanging charms. It is in the middle of the chain. The charm is a caduceus, the symbol of Hermes.