Ch.1: Apparently, I Was Correct

Ambrosia's POV

My name is Ambrosia Delia Minerva. You think that's interesting? Yeah, it's all Greek until the last name. Well, here's a story for you. My mom's name is Aikaterina Minerva. She is obsessed with all kinds of mythology but, her favorite type of mythology has always been Greek. She always talked about how cool it would be to actually be one of the gods. Since the beginning, her favorite god had been Poseidon, god of the seas, or the "earth shaker". Her eyes seemed to sparkle whenever we went to the beach as if she felt more complete there. She admired the way the waves moved elegantly. She always smiled her award winning grin that the whole universe probably loved. Her sea blue eyes glimmered as she laughed whenever I'd crack a joke. But I knew the truth behind every smile. For fifteen years, she hid the pain of my father abandoning us when I was only two months old. She frequently zoned out, especially when we went to Huntington Beach. I always ask what's on her mind and she always frowns.

"Nothing, mija. Just... thinking of your father." She'd say.

"This is where you met him, right?" I'd ask.

She'd glance at me, her light brown wavy hair blowing with the gentle sea breeze. She would sigh then stare at the ocean as if she wanted to swim and swim until she got dad back.

"Yes... He was so kind." Her voice would crack at that point so I'd stop talking.

The truth is that my father left us and never returned. I know my mom knows why, but she hesitates whenever I ask where he'd gone.

"I... I-I really don't know. I want him back too, don't worry." She'd bite her lip.

I really don't know why she likes the ocean so much when she talks about the sky more. She was able to predict what the weather was going to be like the next day, and, to my surprise, it came true. She said it's a gift. Once I mentioned to her why Zeus, the god of the sky, isn't her favorite then. Her expression darkens when I ask then she changes the subject.

Personally, my favorite god and goddess is Apollo and Artemis, the twins. Apollo is the god of, like, all of my favorite things: music, poetry, medicine- well the study of it anyways-, and archery. He's also the sun god, but the sun makes me sweat. So gross. Sorry, Apollo! My mother put me in archery classes after she kept coming into my room to see me reading articles and books about Apollo and Artemis' archery skills. It's been my favorite sport since. Yes, it's a sport. 

She also put me in gymnastics and volleyball so I was constantly doing something while she was at work. Every night when I was a child, she would read to me one more story about a Greek hero or myth. My favorite story is probably the one about Dido and Aeneas *eh-n-ee-aa-s*. Dido was the founder and the first queen of Carthage. She fell in love with a hero, Aeneas. She was originally married, but Hera and Aphrodite forced her to fall for him. Zeus ordered Hermes to send Aeneas away. As he left, Dido burned herself at the stake because he left her. Please don't ask why that's my favorite...

Currently, I have school. I keep tapping my fingers against the desk while my right foot taps on the floor with pure boredom. My eyes watch the clock, wanting Social Studies to be over as soon as possible.

"Amb, are you alright?" my best friend, Silas *see-lahs*, asked.

Silas is an average lean guy with short, curly brown hair. He is never seen without his signature snapback that has the Zumiez logo on it. He's a bit scrawny and sort of walks funny, but when he runs to get food from the cafeteria, you'd lose the race to him.

"Uh... Yeah. I'm fi-" I get cut off.

"Ms. Minerva!" My teacher, Mr. Haminson says.

"Yes?" I look at him, blinking innocently.