Chapter Sixteen

If jumping for a lady is not at all unlady-like, Athena would have done it after she excused herself from the two gentlemen, whose countenance are the exact opposite of each other. Where William smiled and joy lit from his face after she declared that he would be escorting her to the ball, Edmond's features are scowling and the way he looked at her are a mixture of shock and anger. She can sense it as she was heading back to the house. She smiled to herself. Oh, finally she got even from that odious, odius man.

She headed to her room to pamper and ready herself for the upcoming ball. She only had a few hours left onto which she will waste her time choosing a suitable gown that would match her eyes and compliment her hair.

Before she went downstairs, where Edmond and her escort, William, awaits for her, she looked at herself at the vanity mirror and nodded in agreement at her appearance. She was wearing a satin periwinkle blue of a gown with a sash the color of purple. Her hair was tied on a bun behind her head and two snips of tendril hair cupped her face, which made her face look angelic and ethereal. Small pearls adorned it. Her lips was tainted slightly by a pink rouge which complimented her pale complexion.

As she descended through the stairs, she saw the two gentlemen waiting at the foot of the stairs. They immediately looked up from their conversation, and admiration instantly reflected through their eyes.

She smiled brightly at William and bestowed only a curt nod at Edmond. In which the latter only scowled at her at being greeted downright civilly.

"Shall we, my lady?" William asked her while offering his arm to her. She took it and graced him with a smile.

"Of course," she tittered overly and accepted his proffered arm. He tucked her hand on the crook of his arm and off they strolled leaving a scowling Edmond behind.

As they neared the manor of the Birminghams, Edmond said or rather commanded that he wants to have a game of cards or two with William who was seated next to her at the carriage. William, who possessed joviality in every turn, heartily agreed and made a tut-tut sound as he counted some ways on how to beat Edmond soundly. After Edmond retorted sharply that that will not be the case, he soon transferred his attention at her and stated, paired with his cold glare, "I will dance the waltz with you."

Athena, under the Duke's scrutiny, pretended that she was busy viewing the scene, although there are no scenes to be appreciated for the evening sky held no stars nor moon to illuminate the surroundings.

William nudged her lightly, and she looked at him. "Ed asked you if you'll dance the waltz with him."

She gave him a smile and retorted, "I don't have a dance card yet, and I believe he didn't asked me, he commanded me. Besides, you're my escort, not him."

She heard Edmond gasp to what she had just said, and William looked at her as if she was insane. She shrugged.

"Well, if yo--" Edmond started, fury etched on his handsome features. But the carriage drew to a screeching halt and little did they know that they are already parked in front of the Birmingham manor.

***
I'M ALIVE AND I UPDATED A VERY SHORT CHAPTER! Hurrah! Lol. Sorry for the delay and little-ness of this chap. S'been what? Two weeks, eh? That's oryt. Next chapter will be posted NEXT (note: not next, next) saturday. And by the way, I JUST WANT TO THANK ALL THOSE WHO HAVE READ, VOTED, COMMENTED (though I encourage you to drop some more comments :)), AND THOSE WHO ADDED THIS STORY TO THEIR READING LISTS. YOU GUYS, ARE THE ONES WHO INSPIRE ME TO DO BETTER AND CONTINUE WHAT I HAVE STARTED. :) I love you all. God bless. Xoxo, Yram ❤