Chapter Nine

I wrote this chapter when rain fell heavily yesterday night (That was a Monday. Okay. This is kinda late, I know. So, peace. Lols) And I'm just so greatful to Him that even after how many months of not raining, He made us experience again the pitter-patter of abundant rain on our parched and barren land. This chapter is dedicated solely to Him.

"Only one bed?" Athena started. Glaring contemptously at the man who willingly guided them of their room. She never expected it would be so. Well, she expected that her bed would be much finer than Mr. Riggors, at that, she wasn't disappointed. But knowing that she should be sharing it with another person is actually very disappointing.

"That would be all, Mr. Loney. Thank you," Edmond interrupted her before she could further question the man. After that slight interruption on her part, he instructed the man that their carriage is left on the road and needs imminent repair. The man assured Edmond that he will see what he can do. At that, the man took his leave without giving Athena a glance.

"This is beyond impropriety, Edmond!" she hissed and clucked like a mother hen after they went inside the room intended for them. The room has its own fireplace and cozy enough for her taste. But her eyes eyed the only bed in the room. She made a face.

"Don't worry, I told the portly man downstairs that we're married. Now, don't fret over. You will not be tied to me." Edmond told Athena while removing his coat, leaving only his plain, thin shirt.

"You did what?!" she responded angrily. "You never even told me.  You are not my parent and most certainly you're not my beau. Making decisions without even consulting me. For God's sake." She rolled her eyes and purposively wandered around Edmond's body that could be well likened to Adonis' one, with strong and powerful biceps that could split a man in two, and his torso, are those what the other misses call? Abs? She didn't noticed that she is already oogling at him. She only snapped out of reverie from his body when he spoke.

"Enjoying the view?" he said smugly.

"What? No, of course not!" she said hotly and blushed a deep crimson. Being caught staring is already embarrassing, admitting it, is another story.

"Then stop staring," he said flatly. Okay. That was a slap. She snorted am unlady-like snort.

"As if there's something in you that is interesting," she said haughtily.

Edmond stared at her for so long and hard that she almost felt she'll go brittle at his intent perusal. She can feel her cheeks brightening again, when he moved from where he is and stood directly in front of her and her eyes instantly darted on his glistening chest. She can feel the tension in the air. Until, he grabbed both of her shoulders firmly. She can feel her heart thundering from fright.

"Really? And who interests you? That stupid viscount? He doesn't even remember you and for sure he enjoys the sheer pleasure of his wife's bed and being a husband," he said ruthlessly.

She freed herself from his grasp. But he held on tightly. Bruises will definitely show tomorrow. "Matt has nothing to do in here." Tears are cautiously brimming in her eyes.

"No? Then why are we having a tumultuous effort of going to the stinking waters of Bath?" he said, half-shouting. 

She can only lower her eyes, unable to meet his penetrating gaze. Actually, it dawned on her on why Edmond was so affected by what she said. She knew full well that many women would die just to be with him. Why is he acting like this?

He let go of her. "Rest. Supper will be ready soon." He donned again his shirt and went out of the room leaving Athena pondering why.

***
How do you view the story so far? Interesting or Boring? And why? TAP THE COMMENT ICON and say your thoughts aloud babies. I won't mind. First one to comment will have the opportunity to be mentioned on the dedications. So, go go. Trolols. Yram xx