Chapter Thirteen

"Bath would be a nice place for recuperating, I presume," Edward said just as they stepped in the carriage causing for Athena to look at him. They were inside again the plush carriage  ordered just for her by her worried-sick mother, to bring them to Bath.

"Yes. I believe so," Athena whispered. After the painful experience of seeing the man you've long been pining for engaged to someone else, she felt betrayed, jilted even. She grimaced. Not that she was ambitious or what, but she's just a woman experiencing falling in love and wishful thinking concerning the man you love is not an exception. She sighed rather loudly that almost Edward who was on the other side of the carriage could perfectly hear it.

"Don't worry. Everything would be fine, I assure you," he said while smiling and his eyes a little merry. She can sense that there's something in the way he said. But she shrugged it away. She's going to Bath to recover, not to investigate.

"Yes, thank you. I hope so," she replied. Looking at the window once more. A different scenery would indeed make her feel better. She crossed her fingers in her mind.

Several more hours passed and the beautiful outskirts of Bath came into view. Athena is a little giddy to step foot to the world's famous infrastracture and a must-see place for all traveller's around the world that seek wonderful places to experience and wile their times away into that certain place. She read and heard that the healing waters of Bath could indeed heal almost all illnesses. She just hope and pray that her purpose in going to the place would be solved. It's a hard thing to be sad all the time.

Alas, the carriage drew to a stop in front of a very huge house. The façade of the house is too grandiose that, no doubt, tells a vast history. The columns supporting the ceiling is somewhat Ionian, Athena noted. The footman opened the carriage door and pulled the little ladder housed beneath the vehicle. Athena stepped outside the carriage and was helped by the same footman. Edmond then alighted. He held out his arms to her and helped her into the welcoming steps upto the door that would let them in.

They were greeted by a willowy butler with silvery hair and rounded spectacles perched upon his too straight nose. He bowed before them abd said in a gravelly voice, "Lord Rushton, Lady Cottswold."

"Blaney. I trust you are well?" Edmond asked with such familiarity that by just looking at the two men, she concluded that they somehow shared some bond.

After a series of pleasantries, they were led off to a drawing room where they would rest for a bit and Edmond ordered a cup of tea and some biscuits.

After the order has been placed by a scullery maid, Athena tentatively asked the man who was happily chewing his biscuits off. "How did Mr. Blaney knew my name?"

"I told him, of course," he replied and looked at her briefly then went back to chewing his food.

"I assume, you corresponded with him and told him we were coming, yes?"

He nodded. "I own this place, you know. And you, m'dear, is my guest of honor." With that, he smiled devilishly at her and sipped his tea.

She reclined at the soft cushion hugging her form and closed her eyes for a bit. But she knew a little later that she had fallen asleep and someone was carrying her and kissed her forehead. In her reverie, Edmond said gently, "Rest, my love. Tomorrow will be a long day."

***
A filler, I know. And I'm sorry for that. There are just so many things happening in my life right now and I cant very well promise if I can update within the week timeframe. So peace everybody and please support this story. I love you all, Yram xx