13

"This was all me, Cronus. He's not the one to blame." Kankri pleaded. "I will understand if you want to leave."

"How long has this been happening?" Cronus asked as he stared at the red marks. A minute passed and there was no response.

"How long has this been happening?" Cronus shouted desperately.

"Since my dad left." Kankri's eyes watered and blurred his vision.

"Kankri," Cronus cupped Kankri's cheek and looked into his red puffy eyes. Tears began filling his eyes as well. The only one he loved was suffering and he couldn't do a damn thing about it.

Kankri was silent and Cronus watched the tears stream down his face.

"Why?" Cronus asked as he wiped a few stray tears away and Kankri took a deep breath.

"On the morning of my 18th birthday, I found a note that said that he left because he c-could stand us without our mother b-beside him." Kankri sobbed and looked down to pick at a scab when Cronus' hand stopped him. "I took all of our burdens upon m-my shoulders and this was the only way I could cope without hurting anyone else.

"That's a lie." Cronus stated and when Kankri looked back up to see Cronus was crying. "You're hurting me too. I can't stand to see you upset and I'll be damned to a cold eternity in hell if there isn't a thing I can do."

"I'm sorry, Cronus, but there's nothing that can be done." Kankri avoided eye contact.

"Does Karkat know?" Cronus asked and Kankri went silent again. "He needs to know."

"No he doesn't. He doesn't have to worry about his big brother living or dying." He hissed quietly. "I'd like to keep it that way, too."

"Fine." Cronus gave up and backed away. "Lets go. I have something special planned for us."

"What?" Kankri was extremely confused fixing his pants.