I. Chapter 2 | Part 2 - Aubree

Start from the beginning

Every so often, when Dan turned his attention to his cappuccino, she looked over and caught the gorgeous man staring at her as he sipped on his coffee.

She didn't know why he kept staring at her, but it made her heart pound and her stomach flutter in anxiety. What was his deal?

Soon it was time to go, and they got up and headed out. They stopped at the grocery store to pick up a few things and returned home. All the while, they fell back into step, the way they had been in those early months of dating. He'd steal her around a corner and sneak a kiss before pulling her back along the sidewalk.

It was like things had never changed between the two of them.

That night, she finally got the sex she'd been hankering for, with fleeting thoughts of the mysteriously handsome stranger from the café.

...

The weekend flew by, filled with washing Dan's laundry and unpacking all of her things—or rather, unpacking as many of her things as she could. She needed a wardrobe for her to put her clothes in. Until then, the majority of her clothes had to stay in her luggage.

Dan had to work on Monday, and she didn't start her new job until the following week. This gave her time to get familiar with the neighborhood and go shopping for a new wardrobe.

She didn't get that weird feeling again since that first day she stepped out with Dan.

It wasn't until minutes of leaving the café Monday morning, coffee in hand, that that unsettling feeling welled up within her again.

Looking around her, she couldn't figure out where it was coming from. How could it be gone one minute and then back the next?

Something inside her told her that she was being followed. Not wanting to take any chances, she knew she had better try to lose the stalker in case he followed her home.

Entering a plaza, she crossed the parking lot and hastened to the grocery store. Once inside, she hurried into a corner where she could get a good view of the entrance while concealing herself behind a wall of produce.

A woman and two children came in, followed by a senior couple.

She wondered how long she'd have to wait until a questionable looking man walked in. A few minutes passed. She pretended to look at the bananas in front of her, all the while growing more anxious.

What if she was imagining things? What if this creepy vibe she was getting had nothing to do with feeling watched and everything to do with feeling like a newcomer in a strange city and still trying to gather her bearings?

Sighing, she attempted to convince herself that it was the latter making her edgy.

She decided to pick up some fabric softener while she was there. Dan was getting low, and she bet she'd be doing most, if not all, of their laundry, just to ensure her delicates were washed on the right setting and hung to dry.

Maybe she was over-reacting to the state his apartment had been? It could have been worse, and he did pick up after himself since she arrived. But what if he started to slack off in a matter of weeks and left all the housework up to her?

I'll have to make sure he helps out and not do everything myself, she told herself as she paid the cashier.

Marriage was hopefully in the near future, but if he wasn't willing to pull his weight around the house, that might complicate matters. She wanted to be his wife, his equal, not his personal housekeeper in addition to working her own full-time job. That's not even considering the children she was hoping to have in the future.

She shook her head to clear it as she headed out the door. Have a little faith in him.

Two steps out of the sliding glass doors, and she stopped dead in her tracks.

She felt it instantaneously, like a jolt of lightning struck her and she jump at the intensity of it. Her eyes grew wide as she turned and saw him leaning against the brick wall between the grocery store and the next shop down.

It was the same man from the café. Aubree couldn't help but stare back at him, unable to move under his piercing blue gaze.

Her mind went blank.

---- AUTHOR'S NOTE ----

There is a fun café blooper scene in "Bonus Biscuits" found on my profile ( Joflower ) or by clicking the external link for web users. Enjoy. :)

Dedicated to amberkbryant

*Copyright Jo Lee Hunt (Joflower) 2015*