Leaving Orochimaru/Return to Konoha

***

"Sorry Orochimaru. The contract ends today, and I'm not interesting in renewing it."

I study my nails as though I was bored, flicking my short hair back slightly. I ignored Orochimaru's widening eyes as he saw me. Yup, alive, bastard, I smirk. It would take more than a curse mark to take me down.

"What a.... Shame..." Orochimaru hissed, recovering from his obvious shock, "I had certainly looked forward to more time with you."

"Well, your loss," I said airily, "I suppose I'll be going now. I won't miss you, snake. Nor you, Kabuto, you little weasel," I pause, glancing back. "See you soon.... Sasuke."

"Not...so fast, little bug,"Orochimaru calls out. I grit my teeth as I hear that irritating old nickname he'd come up with. "You have all these secrets in that little head of yours. I can't just let you wander off with them."

I turn back, a full blown smirk on my face. "I was just waiting for this, Orochimaru."

"I'm sorry," he said insincerely, "I just can't let you go...alive. Last chance to renew your contract?" He offers.

"No thanks, snake. You've given me all you can."

"Then it comes to this," Orochimaru smirked. With a sinister look in his eyes he made a handsign, staring at me expectantly.

His eyebrows furrowed and he made the sign again when I didn't fall screaming to the floor.

"Sorry to disappoint," I say airily, "But I really didn't feel like being controlled by you, Orochimaru."

"Impossible," Orochimaru hissed.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means when concerning me," I smirk.

"Sasuke!" Orochimaru shouted, now realizing the danger of me escaping.

"Hai, Orochimaru?"

"Kill Cashile," he flicks his hand carelessly. "I would very much like to autopsy her body and understand why the curse mark didn't take hold."

Heh. Sasuke wouldn't kill me. Seriously maim or harm me on the other hand...

But the time for thinking is over, because he's attacking.

We exchange several blows, but the fight is over relatively quickly. Sasuke managed to land a slicing blow on my side just as I finish my jutsu.

Then I disappear into the air, gone in the blink of an eye.

***

I stagger slightly as I walk in the direction of Konoha, clutching my side. The rain plastered my hair to my skin, chilling me to my bone.

I lean against a tree and pull my hand away from my side, viewing the red that slowly washed away in the rain.

"Dammit," I mumble, before lurching forward.

I had never expected Sasuke to react that way. He truly did see me as an opponent, and had managed to get a good hit on me before I disappeared. He had been going full out...maybe even trying to kill me.

And now I was going back there.

I look up with dull eyes, knowing that I would soon be drawing into sight of the familiar red gates. I had no choice. I needed to get out of the rain, receive swift medical attention.

Soon I was going to see them.

They thought I was dead. And when they found out where I'd been... I would probably have to be interrogated by Ibiki. Would they even help me?

I stumble again, nearly falling. Pain shoots up my side, causing me to cry out in pain. I look up through hazy eyes and see the red gates of Konoha, and several blurry figures.

Before I can take another step I pitch forward, falling into the ground. I can't force myself up as the darkness presses down on me.

The last thing I'm aware of is a shout of shock as someone spots me, and then I succumb to the blood loss.

***

When I wake up, I'm not in a hospital. My side had been bandaged and slightly healed, but I was still stiff and weak. I glance around, immediately realizing where I was.

The dungeons of Konoha.

I study the cell quickly, before deciding that escape was not an option. With a sigh I sit cross legged on the bed, and begin meditating.

Two years ago I would never have been able to do this--be alone with my thoughts. No distractions, nothing to hide me from myself, nothing to keep my mind from spiraling away.

But Orochimaru had taught me well.

I take deep breaths, and allow my mind to settle out. I bring my goal to the forefront of my mind: gain Konoha's trust. To do that... I would have to share as much information on Sasuke and Orochimaru as possible. Perhaps try to convince them I was kidnapped-- no, that would never work.

Maybe I could convince them that it was a mission given to me by the Third Hokage, top secret, no one else to know about it. I sigh. In the end, that wouldn't work either: Too many curious ninja here in Konoha who would figure out the truth.

The only option was to tell them what actually happened, only putting the slightest spin on it to put me in a favorable light.