"Oh please that was nothing!" her mother cackled out through a laugh. "Let's make this really interesting,". She turned a dial on the side of the box until it couldn't be turned anymore. She flipped the switch again. 

     Carla's body spazzed and shook from the shock. She couldn't think coherently and everyone of her nerves felt like it was on fire. All she knew was pain and couldn't even open her own mouth to scream. She felt frothy drool come out the side of her mouth and then her world was filled with darkness.

     When she came to she was still lying in the pool, fully clothed and soaked to the bone. She shivered at the chill she felt and looked around. Her mother was nowhere to be scene and even the circuit was gone. Slowly Carla began to lift herself out of the pool, ignoring the screams of her cramping muscles and biting down on her lip to hold back more tears before she dragged herself up the stairs. 

     The whole endeavor took over thirty minutes to accomplish due to the fierce pain she felt throughout her entire body. When she made it upstairs she went straight to her bathroom and stripped out of the damp clothing and took a hot shower. She massaged the muscles in her legs, arms and feet until they came unknotted and loose. 

     When she finished she towel dried herself and put on a robe. Brushing out the tangles in her hair she shuffled to her room. Her purse which held her phone was still by the front door where it had fallen during the beating from the previous night. Carla sighed in depression as she looked at the clock. It was noon. She'd already missed half the day of school and decided to go ahead and miss the rest. 

     She was already ahead of all her classes since she usually studied in all her free time and she didn't care about attendance since her school didn't contact parents unless you missed more than three days. She was sure her mother had anticipated her wake up time and had already called in anyways so she wouldn't look bad later. 

     She shuffled to her bed and pulled back the covers, gently climbing into the welcoming soft cushions and drifting off to sleep. When she woke up she was greeted by a large pair of chocolate brown eyes directly in front of her face. Sam. Leaping upright with a small yelp she scooted back on the bed putting some distance between her and Sam.

     "What are you doing here you creep?!" she asked, her voice near shriek mode. Sam laughed at her reaction before leaning across the bed, elbows resting on the mussed comforter.

     "I'm here to see you silly! You didn't answer any of my texts or calls and you didn't even come to school today! I was so worried,". Carla looked at the clock on her bedside and saw the time read 5:00pm. School had been out for almost two hours and she'd been asleep for five. Sam waved Carla's phone in front of her face which saw did in fact have over thirty unanswered messages from both Sam and Ridian.

     "How did you even get in here?" Carla asked still in shock at seeing Sam in her room. Sam turned back from some family pictures of Carla and her dad that were on her dresser.

     "The door was open," she said sheepishly. Carla frowned as she remembered how she'd never gotten a chance to lock it the night before. Her mother never went out the front door because her car was in the garage in the back of the house. 

     "And you just let yourself in? That may not be breaking in but it is still trespassing," Carla said sternly with narrowed eyes. Sam stared down at her shoes, her cheeks flushed in embarrassment.

     "I know but I was worried about you," she said softly. Carla's expression softened at the look on Sam's face and she crawled out of bed giving her friend a soft squeeze on the arm. She wasn't much of a physical contact person.