03: daddy issues and the man in black

angel is finally here! enjoy!

________________

Standing in a pair of jeans and a bra, I pull out a black tank top and throw it on. The deep neckline allows some of my cleavage to show which will give the guys tonight something to look at. Smirking, just imaging all the handsome guys at The Bronze tonight, I take out my leather jacket and pull it on. My brown curls fall passes my chest and my boots give me a little more height which I don't mind. Just as I'm tying the shoelaces to my boots I look up and see my door open.

Mom is standing there in her pajamas with her arms crossed at her chest. Her dark hair is pulled back in a ponytail and her head is cocked to the side. Mom purses her lips together. "Do I even want to ask where you're going this late at night?"

Sighing, I stand and readjust my leather jacket. "I'm going to Willow's. She needs help with something."

"Dressed like that?" she points out. "Lindsay, can you tell me the truth for once? I feel like you're slipping through my fingers and I don't know what to do."

Stuffing my hands in my pockets, they soon form into fists. Mom has the decency to say I'm not being truthful? All she has done these past couple of weeks is keep something from me. "Mom, I really have to go," I murmur, trying to take the higher ground and not snap at her. Ever since my parents spilt I've gained some anger issues and I also seem to address them at Mom even when I don't mean them.

"You're not leaving this house until I get the truth Lindsay. Are you sneaking around with some guy again?"

Scoffing, I shake my head. "I wish, but no. I'm meeting Willow that part is true."

"Where?" she presses. "I need to know."

"Why?" I exclaim. "When all you seem to do lately is keep things from me. You don't tell me to give you the truth when you can't do the same."

"Are you still having issues with the divorce? I thought this ended months ago."

Just thinking of my dad makes me want to punch something. "Dad left us Mom. I got over that a long time ago. Now, until you have the guts to tell me what you've been up to then don't expect me to tell you anything." Lifting my head high, I make my way around her and down the stairs.

Mom's footfalls follow close behind. "Lindsay, please!" she pleads, grabbing my arm once we both reach the bottom. I turn around and meet her gaze. "I-I didn't know how I'd want to tell you."

"That you moved on?" I guessed. It's not like I'm upset she is moving on. Dad left us and Mom has every right to meet another man, but the fact that she has kept it from me for who knows how long rubs me the wrong way.

Her head falls as she let goes of my arm to intertwine her fingers. "I-I have been seeing your father."

It's like she's saying it in slow motion. My heart stops to my stomach and feels like I'm about to explode. I did not see that coming at all. The possibility of Mom seeing Dad again didn't even cross my radar. He has never come by the house nor has he even contacted me. Shaking my head, I look at my mom like she has grown two heads. "Dad? You're seeing Dad again?"

"Yes," she mumbles.

"How can you stand to even be in the same room as him?" I ask in bewilderment. "He left us two years ago! Remember? He left you with no choice but to sign the divorce papers and he left me with nothing but seeing him walk out the door. That man didn't even glance or say goodbye to his daughter," I seethe, remembering the ghost of a man that was once my father.

Mom's eyes start to water. Her mouth screws up as she tries to keep her chin from quivering. "I-I love him."

I find myself biting my lip so hard blood drips onto my tongue. "I'm going to go before I say something I'll regret," I talk slowly, taking to make my cool.

"Lindsay, please! You have to consider my side of all of this."

Grabbing my house keys from the table by the front door, I turn and look at Mom who is about to break down in full sobs. I can't be here to see that because I need to keep it together. Dad walked out on us and I am nowhere near forgiving him anytime soon. "I'm probably going to stay at Willow's tonight. Don't wait up." Before Mom could stop me I yank the door open and walk out. The loud slam echoes as I continue to walk away from my home. A home that may now be tainted by my father once more.

                                                                                                  ****

My boots create a tapping sound as I walk down the sidewalk to The Bronze. Wetness coats my cheeks as I wipe it away feverishly. I hate showing weakness and crying is being weak. When Dad walked out I told myself I would never see him again and that made it easy to hate him. Now he's back and trying to get Mom back under his spell. He doesn't deserve her—he doesn't deserve a family after what he has done. After two years of no contact all of the sudden now, a few weeks ago, he starts pursuing my mom again? What in the hell changed?

As I continue to wipe away my weakness, a dark body comes out of nowhere and knocks me over—or so I thought. Arms wrap around me to help steady me. Out of instinct, I push away from the stranger and glare up at the person. When I do, I'm met with a man. Brown hair is spiked up in the front and he's wearing an expression filled with amusement. His lips curve up slightly when he sees me glaring.

"This whole area is empty and yet you manage to run into me?" I ask in bewilderment.

His eyes narrow slightly at my statement. "Let's just admit both of us weren't paying attention." I curse when his expression softens, this guy no doubt seeing the puffiness under my eyes and my nose a tad red. If this street didn't have lights I could have possibly gotten away with it.

Folding my arms over my chest, I purse my lips together. "I should get going," I broke the slightly awkward silence and went to walk around this tall man, but then I felt his hand on my forearm. "Excuse me," I say as I try and yank my arm out of his grip, but with no prevail.

"You're friends with Buffy aren't you?"

Furrowing my eyebrows, I look up at this stranger. "I barely know the girl, but we have talked. How would you know that?"

"I know things," he answers vaguely, looking around the empty sidewalk and into the darkness. "Buffy comes with danger and if you know what's best for you then walk away from her."

"Listen here buddy. I do what is best for my friends before myself. And if this is about the whole slayer issue I don't want to know."

"You know?" he asks, interest lacing his features.

Shrugging, I manage to get my arm away from his grip.

Suddenly the corners of his lips turn up. "You must be the other one."

"A slayer?" I ask in wonderment. "I don't even know what that means and I'm not sure if I want to. But I have to get going." I look the man up and down. "I don't know if I want to say I'll see you around."

"Wait," he says as he digs something out of his pocket. "I gave one to Buffy, but I think you'll need one also."

The man gives me a box and I look at him with curiosity. "Is it safe for me to open?" All the man does is shaking his head, his lips fully spreading into a smirk. My thumb pushes the top of the box up and I see a cross on a chain. The silver material shines with the streetlight. "A necklace? We just met."

"Buffy will answer everything," he says, starting to back up. "Just don't forget to wear that at night."

I watch as the man walks into the darkness, leaving me with a silver cross necklace. Something in his tone of voice gets me unnerved. Taking the chain, I pull the necklace over my head and throw away the box in a garage can I find on my way to The Bronze. Things are changing and I don't know if I'm ready for it.