21: making moves

I didn't want to go to The Bronze tonight, but Willow and Buffy bugged me until I gave in. Wearing jeans and a simple maroon blouse, I enter the place and see Buffy and Willow at a table already. Seeing people wandering about, trying to stomp on the cockroaches doesn't appease to me like it may for other people.

Plopping down beside Buffy, I rest my forearms on the table and send Willow an uninterested smile. "I'm here."

Willow's eyebrows raise. "Aren't you in a chipper mood."

"What's going on? I thought you always enjoy coming to The Bronze," Buffy adds.

"Yeah Lindsay, it's the fumigation party. It's an annual tradition. The closing of the Bronze for a few days to nuke the cockroaches."

Shrugging, I rest of cheek in my palm, not caring to look around. I'm not in the mood to see if Angel was lurking in some dark corner because I'll just be disappointed. Since seeing him when I was with Xander, I haven't heard or seen him since. Maybe it's for the best. I need someone who's willing to be around, and Angel isn't that person.

"Is this about Angel?" the slayer asks.

My eyes focus on the blonde beside me. "I don't want to talk about him."

"Why not? I'm lacking in the man department, so I want to know how it is going with you too." Buffy takes a sip of her drink.

My fingers run through my hair as I lean back in the chair. "Nothing is going on, and it never will. I mean, you both know he's barely even around."

Willows nods. "He's not around much, it's true."

"But when he is around, I can't deny the feeling I get about wanting to be close with him. I just feel used. I thought we took a step forward, but I guess not."

"I think you need to talk to him," Willow mentions. "You clearly like him, and you need to discuss the possibility of more or to get closure."

Xander comes up to the table to stand across from me. "Boy, that Cordelia is a regular breath of vile air. What are you vixens up to?"

I let out a sound from the back of my throat as Willow says, "Just sitting here, watching our barren lives pass us by." She looks down and sees a cockroach, killing it with the bottom of her shoe.

"Whoa, well, let's stop this crazy whirligig of fun! I'm dizzy!" Xander looks between all three of us.

Not wanting to let the mood down, I get up from my chair. "I don't want to ruin the mood guys. I think I'm going to get going."

"Don't go," Willow exclaims, grabbing my hand.

Shaking my head, I peel back her fingers from my hand. "I'm sorry Willow, but I just want to go home."