08: stopping the harvest

read AN at end!

Jesse. Jesse—the guy who flirted with no shame—is a vampire. Jesse who I consider a friend. My mouth is agape as I'm stuck between Xander and Buffy. Looking over Xander's shoulder, I can't fathom this is no longer our friend. He tricked us.

"Jesse, man, I'm sorry," Xander breathes out. I can't image how he's feeling. His good friend is no longer human.

"Sorry? I feel good Xander. I feel strong. I'm connected, man, to everything."

Turning, I see Buffy trying to close the door. When I go to try and help, she shakes her head before nodding it in Jesse's direction. If I help Buffy then it'll raise Jesse's alarm. Looking back to the man who is now a vampire, my hand tightens the cross my back jacket pocket.

"I—I can hear the worms in the Earth," Jesse continues.

Cringing, I shuffle my feet. "That's a plus," I deadpan.

Jesse's attention is on me now. His contorted face fills is discontent. When he goes to step closer to me, Xander steps me to make sure he doesn't get in front of me. Jesse is still close though. He's inches from Xander's face as he tries to get to me. "I know what the Master wants. I'll serve his purpose. That means you die. And I feed." He threatens, curling his top lip.

"Lindsay, the cross!" Buffy points out as she's still struggling to close the door.

Without hesitation, I get the cross from my jacket pocket and hold it in front of Jesse's face. My other hand grabs onto Xander's jacket from the back, holding him in place. Jesse growls, stepping back. As long as we have distance that's the only positive in this situation.

"Jesse, man, we're buds. Don't you remember?" Xander asks. "Lindsay and I hung out with you."

"You both are like a shadow to me now."

Seeing the approaching vampires from the other side of the door, I go and help Buffy. I may not be as strong as she is, but right now any help is needed. I try to push the door with Buffy, but the damn thing wouldn't budge. Or when it did, it'd more a few inches every few seconds. We may not have many seconds left.

"Then get out of my face," Xander says, holding his own cross in front of Jesse.

Spinning, I see Jesse knock Xander's arm away from him, causing the cross to crash to the ground away from Xander. My friend's body hits the tunnel wall as Jesse moves to face him, his back to us. Just as I'm about to put him in a chokehold, like I saw once on television, Buffy manages to grab Jesse and throw him to the oncoming vampires. Jesse knocks all of them down. Buffy goes back to trying to close the door and I join her.

Knowing, we'll need more help I look at Xander who is still trying to compose himself on the ground. "Help us."

Xander stumbles a little when he gets up, but stands next to me as we all try and shut the door. I hear the vampires coming, and just as the door shuts it's caught on something. Turning, I gasp as I see an arm of one of them. Fingers long with nails that need stripped wiggle about. The vamp finally gives up, letting us slam the door shut. Buffy locks it before all three of us turn so our backs rest on the medal door. We're all breathing heavily, knowing if we don't get out then we'll be in some deep shit.

"We need to get out of here," Buffy states, her breath labored.

"There's no out of here," Xander adds just as there's a loud bang behind us.

As I'm trying to keep as much cool as I can, I voice to Xander, "Use your flashlight. See if you can see a way out."

He does just that, and aims his tunnel of light before settling on the ceiling. "Up there!"