Chapter 5

Rose's wheels made a tic tic on the sidewalk for every line they hit. The consistent rhythm distracted her from what she was about to do. She had no idea how she was going to approach Eli. All she knew was that she had to fix them. She couldn't leave the country on bad terms with her best friend.

Leave the country.

She lost control of the skateboard. It flew out from under her feet and skidded onto the overgrown lawn of a wood panel one-story in need of a little TLC. She lay there on her bruised tailbone, stunned. I may never see Eli in person again.

She shook her head. No, that would be stupid. Unchi Nicu would let me visit...and if it's about the money, I'll save it up. I'll get a job. Yeah. Preferably one that doesn't require talking. Library, maybe?

Still, the prospect of leaving her hometown was daunting. She had lived in that house her entire life. Her mom had talked about moving ever since...ever since her dad died. But they just couldn't bring themselves to leave. Now she was leaving. For good.

Rose had a great view of the sky from this angle. Well shit, that cloud looks like an airplane. Oh wait, that is an airplane.

Grumbling slightly, she gingerly stood up, brushing dirt off of her jeans. She went to retrieve her skateboard from the lawn, but froze when she saw the house.

It was a hideous, filthy thing. And that was the polite description. Ever since they were kids, her and Eli had pretended the house was a cross between Boo Radley's and Nebbercracker's from Monster House. It was ridiculous and childish, but the old suspicion remained.

She lifted her skateboard off the poorly manicured grass and hurried off, not looking back.

********

There he stood in the doorway, taller than Rose, but just as sorry. Yet still he smirked.

"What took you so long?"

She raised an eyebrow in way of saying excuse me?

He laughed as he took in her astounded expression, and sheepishly ran a hand through his already disheveled hair. "Ms. Barringer called, letting me know that you were going to 'drop by'. She told me to be nice. Ever the peacemaker, she seems..."

Rose shot him a half-grin and nodded in agreement. That, Caroline was. With a dash of sass on the side.

His laughter dissipated suddenly. "I just wanted to say I was sorry. For everything. I'm sorry that I hurt you, and I'm sorry for thinking I could tell you how to live your life. I was just worried about you...I still am, actually. You can do whatever you want to do."

At that, Rose held up a hand to stop him. She whipped her phone out and proceeded as she had with Caroline.

Why, how generous of you.

He sensed the sarcasm, at least, and had the decency to look guilty. She nearly laughed at the rapid change in his expression.

I'm just kidding.

He chuckled nervously. "Yeah...anyways--" She jokingly rolled her eyes.

You never were a man of many words, Eli. Don't embarrass yourself.

His eyes widened dramatically. It took a whole of five seconds for him to realize, by the grin on her face, that she was joking. Again.

She sobered up once more and bent her head back over her phone.

I'm sorry too. I'm sorry for saying such hurtful things to you, and for running off like I did. I also accept your apology, and I hope you accept mine.