6- [Dio] Unfortunate Fate

WINGED BUT FLIGHTLESS by Fhrell Cee

A/N: This is one last chapter for Dio, before we go back to what is happening to Dex. I hope you all like Dio now. Please do COMMENT and/or VOTE and/or FOLLOW me. ~fCee

6- [Dio] Unfortunate Fate

"My name is Dio Forty, 21 years old," I told the guard who again scanned me for verification of my qualification to enter the town square. He then led me stand on a queue of teenage males younger and slightly older than myself as we enter the harvest area.

I turned around and saw the adults at the sides of the town square watching. Some of them whispering and maybe hoping that their children would get picked. Others were already saying their goodbyes just in case they don't get that chance anymore; it really depends on the Blackwing that picks you anyways.

We were organized in rows and columns with almost a meter distance from each other so that Blackwings could easily walk towards us to choose.

I looked at the stage where our white wing governor of Westport sat with his family on the sides while one man with particularly large black wings stood at the center.

Four more Blackwings with guns and swords stood on each side of the stage while others were guarding the sides of the town square. The central guards dressed in their metallic armor also managed the crowd while continuing to bring more delegates for the harvest.

Slowly after almost no one was left at the gate of the square to enter, the governor stood at the center of the stage where a microphone stood on a podium.

I turned my head wishing I would spot Dex somewhere in the square but he wasn't there. And somehow I knew he wouldn't be here, he's good at hiding after all, that hardheaded brother of mine.

"Stupid Dex," I cursed under my breath as I heard the governor slightly cleared his throat at the side of the microphone before he finally spoke.

"Greeting everyone especially to our lucky delegate who had the honor to stand before us today in line with our Majesty's with the Black Legion. So without further ado, I welcome you all in this event. And may luck be with us all."

The governor smiled turning his head round and looking at nobody in particular before he went back to the microphone.

"And now, I have the honor to present his General Kiev Clarence of the Allied Nations of the Black Legion."

The man who had the Blackest wings standing on the stage moved on side of the governor. The governor then moved away from the podium and went back to his sit.

The general stood at the podium and everything turned silent.

"Let the harvest begin," was the only thing he said after a few minutes of screening the crowed with his eyes like he was looking for somebody in particular. And after his one liner speech, he moved back away from the podium and continued to stand watching his subordinates approach some of my people, picking us one by one.

The color of white and black dominated the town square as all our wings where out from the slit on our back, but steady behind us while the harvest continued. We, the white wings, stood in place as some black wings roamed around us picking possible consort.

I don't know how they pick us. Some say, they are searching for a distinct smell that tells them that the mortality rate of the offspring being alive, male and being a Darkwings is high. And so they choose that person.